Pendulum Motion Equation and Period Calculation

In summary, the equation of motion for a simple pendulum is T = 2π√(Lg/g). The period of oscillation is T = 2π√(Lg/g).
Icetray
Hi guys,

I was doing my lab report and stumbled onto this question and I would really appreciate it if you guys could assist me on this. (:

Homework Statement

For a simple pendulum consisting of a mass M attached to a very thin light string of length L, in the absence of air resistance, derive the equation of motion for the simple pendulum in terms of the angular displacement θ relative to its equilibrium position? For “small” oscillation, namely θ is less than 5˚, what is the period T of oscillation? Compare with the derived result in Exercise 4 above.

Homework Equations

From Exercise 4:
T = 2π√(I/(MgLg))

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm guessing that I will just be M for a simple pendulum and I'll end up with:
T = 2π√(1/(gLg ))
which doesn't make much sense.

Looking forward to your replies! (:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What are you using for I?

Spinnor said:
What are you using for I?

It's the moment of Inertia of the pendulum (taken to be a I = MLg2.

We assume that the pendulum of mass M is attached to a very light thin string of length Lg.

I googled and found out that the answer should be:

T = 2π√(Lg/g) but I have no clue how I am to get to this. ):

Last edited:
Icetray said:
Hi guys,

From Exercise 4:
T = 2π√(I/(MgLg))

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm guessing that I will just be M for a simple pendulum and I'll end up with:
T = 2π√(1/(gLg ))
which doesn't make much sense...

(:

I goes as L^2. In your first equation if you substitute for I you should get L in the numerator and not the denominator as you have.

Spinnor said:
I goes as L^2. In your first equation if you substitute for I you should get L in the numerator and not the denominator as you have.

Why does I become L^2? ):

Can anyone assit me with this? ):

Related to Pendulum Motion Equation and Period Calculation

1. What is a pendulum?

A pendulum is a weight suspended from a fixed point so that it can swing freely back and forth under the influence of gravity. It is commonly used in scientific experiments to study the effects of gravity and motion.

2. How does a pendulum work?

A pendulum works by converting potential energy into kinetic energy as it swings back and forth. When the pendulum is at its highest point, it has the most potential energy, which is then converted to kinetic energy as it falls towards the center. The cycle continues as the pendulum swings back and forth.

3. What factors affect the swing of a pendulum?

The swing of a pendulum is affected by several factors, including the length of the pendulum, the mass of the weight, the amplitude of the swing, and the force of gravity. The longer the pendulum, the slower it swings, and the heavier the weight, the faster it swings. The amplitude and force of gravity also affect the period of the pendulum's swing.

4. What is the formula for the period of a pendulum?

The formula for the period (T) of a pendulum is T = 2π√(L/g), where L is the length of the pendulum and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This formula was first discovered by Galileo and is also known as the "law of isochronism."

5. How is a pendulum used in science experiments?

A pendulum is used in science experiments to study the effects of gravity and motion. It can be used to demonstrate concepts such as potential and kinetic energy, simple harmonic motion, and the relationship between length, mass, and gravity. Pendulums are also used in timekeeping devices, such as grandfather clocks and metronomes.