Mechanics- general motion in a straight line.

In summary, the conversation discussed the calculation of distance and well depth using integration. The total distance was found to be 28.9m, but the textbook answer was 29.9m. The mistake was identified in the limits of integration, which were corrected to 0.5 and 2. The correct solution was then obtained.
Shah 72
MHB
20210608_174154.jpg

S for 0 to 2s = 20m
From 2s to 2.5s, I integrated v with limits 2.5 and 2 and got s=8.875m
So total distance would be 28.9m but the textbook ans is 29.9m. Iam not able to get 29.9 m

Mathematics news on Phys.org
well depth = $\displaystyle 20 + \int_0^{0.5} 20-t \, dt$

try again

skeeter said:
well depth = $\displaystyle 20 + \int_0^{0.5} 20-t \, dt$

try again
Thanks so much!

Why did your limits of integration not yield the correct solution?

You know I did try the limit 0.5 but the upper limit I took it as 2. That's the reason I couldn't get the right ans.

After seeing your limits I realized my mistake.
Thanks so much!

Related to Mechanics- general motion in a straight line.

1. What is mechanics?

Mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of motion and the forces that cause it.

2. What is general motion in a straight line?

General motion in a straight line refers to the movement of an object along a straight path, where its velocity and acceleration can change over time.

3. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a measure of both speed and direction of motion.

4. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time. It can be positive (speeding up), negative (slowing down), or zero (constant velocity).

5. What are the equations used to calculate motion in a straight line?

The equations used to calculate motion in a straight line are the equations of motion, which include: displacement = initial velocity x time + 1/2 x acceleration x time^2, final velocity = initial velocity + acceleration x time, and average velocity = (initial velocity + final velocity)/2.