Mechanics- connected particles

In summary, the conversation discusses a scenario where a 3kg bucket filled with 6kg of bricks is released from the top of a building, connected to a rope that is attached to another 3kg bucket on the ground. The initial acceleration is zero as both buckets are at rest, but as the top bucket descends, the bottom bucket rises. The force applied on the top bucket is 90N and on the bottom bucket is 30N. The conversation also mentions the importance of sketching out a Free Body Diagram for understanding the scenario. The final question is to find the time it takes for the descending bucket to reach the ground, which can be solved by calculating the force of the 9kg bucket going down and the
Shah 72
MHB
A bucket of mass 3kg rests on scaffolding at the top of a building. The scaffolding is 22.5m above the ground. The bucket is attached to a rope that passes over a smooth pulley. At the other end of the rope there is another bucket of mass 3kg, which initially rests on the ground. The bucket at the top of the building is filled with 6kg of bricks and is gently released. As this bucket descends the other bucket rises.
Find how long it will take the descending bucket to reach the ground.
I have no clue how to solve this.
Initially the acceleration is zero as both the buckets are at rest. R= 90N for the top bucket and T= 30N for the bottom bucket.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What have you tried? Did you start by sketching out a Free Body Diagram?

-Dan

topsquark said:
What have you tried? Did you start by sketching out a Free Body
20210524_131325.jpg
20210524_131332.jpg
20210524_131343.jpg

topsquark said:
What have you tried? Did you start by sketching out a Free Body Diagram?

-Dan
I think I realized where I have done the mistake. I need to calculate the F= m×a of the 9kg bucket going down taking its acceleration as negative and the bucket of 3 kg coming up acceleration as positive. I get t= 3s
Is this the right way? My freeborn diagram is wrong for the bucket that's on the top

057069FC-7566-42FE-9AB6-20D91B4E602D.jpeg

Related to Mechanics- connected particles

1. What are connected particles in mechanics?

Connected particles in mechanics refer to a system of two or more particles that are connected by a rigid or flexible link, such as a rope or a rod. These particles move together as a single unit and their motion is influenced by the forces acting on each individual particle.

2. How do you calculate the motion of connected particles?

The motion of connected particles can be calculated using Newton's laws of motion and the principles of conservation of energy and momentum. The forces acting on each particle, as well as the constraints of the connecting link, must be taken into account when solving for the motion of the system.

3. What is the difference between rigid and flexible connections in mechanics?

A rigid connection between particles means that the distance between the particles remains constant, while a flexible connection allows for some movement between the particles. In mechanics, flexible connections are often modeled as springs or ropes, which can stretch or compress under tension or compression forces.

4. How does the mass of connected particles affect their motion?

The mass of connected particles affects their motion in a similar way to individual particles. The total mass of the connected particles determines their inertia and their response to external forces. However, the distribution of mass within the system can also affect the rotational motion of the particles.

5. Can you have more than two particles connected in a system?

Yes, a system of connected particles can involve any number of particles, as long as they are all connected by a rigid or flexible link. The motion of such a system can become more complex as the number of particles increases, but the principles of mechanics still apply.