Particles on a Wedge Q4: Find Accel & Force

In summary, the problem involves a wedge of mass 11 kg with smooth and inclined faces, connected to a 5 kg mass on one face and a 7 kg mass on the other face by a light inextensible string. The system is released from rest and the wedge does not move. The question asks for the acceleration of the particles and the vertical force exerted on the ground. The marking scheme uses $a$ to represent the magnitude of the acceleration of the particles, since the wedge does not move.
markosheehan
Q4 A wedge of mass 11 kg is held on the ground
with its base horizontal and smooth faces
inclined at 30° and 45° respectively to the
horizontal.
A 5 kg mass on the face inclined at 30° is
connected to a 7 kg mass on the other face by
a light inextensible string which passes over a
smooth light pulley.
The system is released from rest and the wedge does not move.
Find (i) the acceleration of the particles
(ii) the vertical force exerted on the ground.

i have the marking scheme to this question. here is the link http://thephysicsteacher.ie/Exam%20M...hemes/2015.pdf. it is question 6 part b. i don't understand how they work it out could someone explain it to me. first of all they use a for acceleration. what acceleration does this stand for the particle or the wedge. and if it stands for the particle why did they not resolve the acceleration parallel and perpindicular to the plane. why did they only use one acceleration . i learned to do these questions by always looking at both the acceleration of the particle and the wedge
markosheehan is online now Report Post

Mathematics news on Phys.org
markosheehan said:
Q4 A wedge of mass 11 kg is held on the ground
with its base horizontal and smooth faces
inclined at 30° and 45° respectively to the
horizontal.
A 5 kg mass on the face inclined at 30° is
connected to a 7 kg mass on the other face by
a light inextensible string which passes over a
smooth light pulley.
The system is released from rest and the wedge does not move.
Find (i) the acceleration of the particles
(ii) the vertical force exerted on the ground.

i have the marking scheme to this question. here is the link http://thephysicsteacher.ie/Exam%20M...hemes/2015.pdf. it is question 6 part b. i don't understand how they work it out could someone explain it to me. first of all they use a for acceleration. what acceleration does this stand for the particle or the wedge. and if it stands for the particle why did they not resolve the acceleration parallel and perpindicular to the plane. why did they only use one acceleration . i learned to do these questions by always looking at both the acceleration of the particle and the wedge

Hi markosheehan!

I'm afraid your link does not work, so I can't comment on the marking scheme.

I can already say that since it says "the wedge does not move", $a$ won't refer to the wedge.
Instead $a$ would be the magnitude of the acceleration of one of the masses (or particles), which is the same as the acceleration on the other mass, since they're connected by an inextensible string.

Related to Particles on a Wedge Q4: Find Accel & Force

1. What are particles on a wedge?

Particles on a wedge refer to a system of particles that are placed on a wedge-shaped surface. The particles interact with each other and the surface through forces such as gravity and friction.

2. How do you find the acceleration of particles on a wedge?

The acceleration of particles on a wedge can be found by using Newton's second law, which states that the net force on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration (F=ma). By analyzing the forces acting on each particle and using this equation, the acceleration can be determined.

3. What is the relationship between the angle of the wedge and the force on the particles?

The angle of the wedge affects the force on the particles in two ways. First, the angle of the wedge determines the direction of the normal force, which is perpendicular to the surface and counters the weight of the particles. Second, the steeper the angle of the wedge, the greater the component of the weight force acting parallel to the surface, which increases the magnitude of the force on the particles.

4. How do you calculate the force on particles on a wedge?

The force on particles on a wedge can be calculated by analyzing the components of the weight force and normal force acting on each particle. The net force on each particle can then be determined using vector addition, and the magnitude and direction of the resultant force can be calculated.

5. What are some real-life applications of particles on a wedge?

Particles on a wedge can be seen in various real-life scenarios, such as a book resting on a slanted bookshelf or a car driving on a sloped road. Understanding the forces acting on particles on a wedge can also be helpful in designing and analyzing structures such as ramps and inclined planes.