Mechanics-Angular Motion and Conservation of Energy

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a uniform bar and its motion when released from a vertical position. The question asks for the horizontal and vertical components of acceleration at the instant the bar is horizontal, as well as the vertical component of the force exerted on the bar by the hinge. The student mentions using the transfer of gravitational potential energy to rotational kinetic energy and torque to find the angular acceleration but is stuck on finding the three mentioned quantities. A hint is given to consider the motion of the bar if it were released from the horizontal point.
dmayers94
Mechanics--Angular Motion and Conservation of Energy

Homework Statement

A uniform bar of mass m and length L is pivoted at one end and is held vertically above the pivot. After the bar is released, it swings downward and clockwise with no friction in the pivot.

At the instant the bar is horizontal, find the magnitudes of the following quantities (use g for the acceleration of gravity): The horizontal component of the acceleration of the free end of the bar? The vertical component of the acceleration of the midpoint of the bar? The vertical component of the force exerted on the bar by the hinge?

Homework Equations

Moment of inertia = .33*m*r*r

The Attempt at a Solution

There were many other questions in this problem that I already got correct, so I left those out. I used the transfer of gravitational potential energy to rotational kinetic energy to get the angular and linear speeds, and I found the angular acceleration using torque, but I couldn't get these three parts. I feel like the acceleration of the bar in the vertical direction should be zero at this point because it's only accelerating towards the center of the circle, which is horizontal, but it's a nonzero value. Thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org

"I feel like the acceleration of the bar in the vertical direction should be zero at this point because it's only accelerating towards the center of the circle, which is horizontal, but it's a nonzero value. Thanks for your help!"

Hint: Suppose the bar were released from this point, would it accelerate downward or merely remain horizontal?

Related to Mechanics-Angular Motion and Conservation of Energy

1. What is angular motion?

Angular motion, also known as rotational motion, refers to the movement of an object around a fixed point or axis. This type of motion is measured in terms of angular displacement, velocity, and acceleration.

2. What is the difference between linear and angular motion?

Linear motion involves movement in a straight line, while angular motion involves movement around a fixed point or axis. Linear motion is measured in terms of displacement, velocity, and acceleration, while angular motion is measured in terms of angular displacement, velocity, and acceleration.

3. What is conservation of energy in mechanics?

In mechanics, conservation of energy refers to the principle that states energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transferred or converted from one form to another. This means that the total energy of a system remains constant, even if there are changes in its form or position.

4. How is angular momentum conserved?

Angular momentum is conserved when there is no net external torque acting on a system. This means that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant, regardless of any changes in its rotational speed or direction.

5. What are some real-life examples of conservation of energy and angular motion?

Examples of conservation of energy and angular motion in real life include a spinning top, a swinging pendulum, and a rotating Ferris wheel. In each of these examples, the energy and angular momentum of the system are conserved, even as the object moves and changes direction.