When is Conservation of angular momentum valid?

In summary: You can also do the problem with some other axis, but then you have to take the impulsive reaction into account in the calculation of the angular momentum about the axis.In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a hanging bar and a ball colliding with it. The solution is found using the principle of conservation of angular momentum. The linear momentum is not conserved due to the pivot point, but the angular momentum is conserved as long as the external torques sum up to 0. The choice of axis is important in the calculation of the angular momentum.
Nabin kalauni

Homework Statement

[/B]
A thin uniform bar 2.00 m long and weighing 90.0 N is hanging from the ceiling by a frictionless pivot. It is suddenly struck 1.50 m below the pivot by a small 3.00 kg ball initially travellimg horizontally at 10.0 m/s. The ball rebounds and moves in oppossite direction with a velocity of 6 m/s. Find the angular speed of the bar after the collision.

Homework Equations

I decided to use the principle of conservation of angular momentum.

The Attempt at a Solution

And I got the answer pretty easily too. But, I did not understand why I could use it. I have read its valid when external torques sum up to 0. So can you explain how it is 0 in this case? And is the linear momentum conserved?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It sounds like you took the ball as an instantaneous velocity, tangent to a circle centered at the pivot point? There is not a torque on the bar when it is vertical.

scottdave said:
It sounds like you took the ball as an instantaneous velocity, tangent to a circle centered at the pivot point? There is not a torque on the bar when it is vertical.
I'm sorry I didn't get you

Your system is hanging bar + ball. Angular momentum of the system about the pivot is conserved instantaneously under the assumption that the collision is over so quickly that the bar does not rotate appreciably over the time interval Δt that it is in contact with the ball. Linear momentum is not conserved, not even instantaneously, because of the pivot that constrains the top end of the bar from moving. If the ball were to collide with the bar right at the pivot, there would be no motion of any kind.

Likes Nabin kalauni and scottdave
Nabin kalauni said:
I'm sorry I didn't get you
So when you used angular momentum, what did you use to figure the ball's angular momentum? Was it assumed to be a point mass, orbiting the pivot point?

Nabin kalauni said:
its valid when external torques sum up to 0
Except in special circumstances, torques and angular momenta should always be considered relative to some stated axis.
(In the kinetic cases, that had better be an axis fixed in an inertial frame, or the mass centre of the rigid body being considered, or its instantaneous centre of rotation.)
Conservation of angular momentum about an axis is valid when there are no external torques about that axis. If your system here is bar and ball then you can eliminate all external torques by suitable choice of axis.

haruspex said:
Conservation of angular momentum about an axis is valid when there are no external torques about that axis. If your system here is bar and ball then you can eliminate all external torques by suitable choice of axis.
Can you explain it in this example?

scottdave said:
So when you used angular momentum, what did you use to figure the ball's angular momentum? Was it assumed to be a point mass, orbiting the pivot point?
Yes that's what I did but I'm not sure

kuruman said:
Your system is hanging bar + ball. Angular momentum of the system about the pivot is conserved instantaneously under the assumption that the collision is over so quickly that the bar does not rotate appreciably over the time interval Δt that it is in contact with the ball. Linear momentum is not conserved, not even instantaneously, because of the pivot that constrains the top end of the bar from moving. If the ball were to collide with the bar right at the pivot, there would be no motion of any kind.
Thanks a lot

Nabin kalauni said:
Can you explain it in this example?
With the point of suspension of the bar as axis, the impulsive reaction from the pivot has no moment about the axis, so angular momentum of the bar+ball about that axis is conserved.

Likes Nabin kalauni and scottdave

Related to When is Conservation of angular momentum valid?

1. What is conservation of angular momentum?

Conservation of angular momentum is a fundamental law of physics that states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant as long as there are no external torques acting on the system.

2. When is conservation of angular momentum valid?

Conservation of angular momentum is valid in any system where there are no external torques acting on the system. This includes isolated systems, where there are no external forces acting on the system, and closed systems, where the external torques are balanced by internal torques.

3. Is conservation of angular momentum always valid?

No, conservation of angular momentum is not always valid. It is only valid in systems where there are no external torques acting on the system. If there are external torques present, then angular momentum is not conserved.

4. How is conservation of angular momentum related to rotational symmetry?

Conservation of angular momentum is closely related to rotational symmetry. This is because rotational symmetry means that the laws of physics remain the same regardless of the orientation of the system. Therefore, if there are no external torques present, the angular momentum of the system will remain constant regardless of any rotations.

5. What are some real-world examples of conservation of angular momentum?

There are many examples of conservation of angular momentum in the real world. Some examples include the rotation of planets around the sun, the spinning of a top, and the movement of a spinning figure skater. In all of these examples, the total angular momentum remains constant as long as there are no external torques acting on the system.