Mechanical vs. Electrical engineering vs. Bioengineering

In summary: The main difference I think is that electrical engineering focuses more on the business side of engineering, whereas mechanical engineering focuses more on the engineering side of engineering.
parsa418
Hi,
I'm trying to decide between these three majors. I'm in community college right now and plan on transferring next year God willing. I have taken almost all my math, physics, and chem courses and a bio class. I have also taken the following engineering classes at my college to help me decide: circuits, statics, and materials. However, I was interested in all of the courses I have taken so far including the bio classes. I've done well in all of those courses always at the top of the class. Relating to ME, I like classical mechanics, thermodynamics, aerodynamics, and fluid mechanics. Relating to EE, I liked learning about the physics of all the components (like capacitors, inductors, transistors, ...) and I liked designing circuits. Relating to bio, I liked pondering about evolution, ecology, and cell characteristics. I like pure physics and math, but I want to build and design. I'd like to know if there is any engineering field for quantum physics which I am also interested in. I like biomimetics (especially with designing airplanes) where they imitate designs observed in nature like the ornithopter (an aircraft that flies by flapping its wings) which I think is mostly related to ME major. I also like to find better ways to design circuits to save energy for like a dishwasher persay or deliver maximum power or speed for like a processor in a computer. I've heard for example about photonics where they make circuits that use photons of light and small mirrors for data transfer.
What keeps me away from bioengineering is that they use engineering to design for biological applications, but I am more interested in using biology and what is observed in nature in engineering.
I would really appreciate any suggestions on what major I should choose and why.
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
You have a young mind and are probably interested in many things. I'm guessing you could pick any of those majors for undergrad and be able to enjoy your time. However, having an interest in engineering topics is not necessarily the same as enjoying the day to day tasks of an engineer. Spend some time doing solid modeling, drafting, tinkering, writing computer programs, soldering circuits, repairing the washing machine, building a computer, etc. There are plenty of hobby books out there to guide you through the different areas. That might help motivate you one way or the other.

I have a pretty good idea what bioengineers and electrical engineers do day to day, but I don't have a good idea what mechanical engineers do. Could you tell me how the day to day tasks of a mechanical engineer is?
Thanks for the prompt reply

Mechanical Engineer's at my job do minor tasks to complete a big project.

For an example, we have a product...and we may be doing a upgrade to it.

This upgrade may include some electrical upgrades and some mechanical upgrades.

You would be tasked with possibly the following: Modeling it in the company's 3d modeling program, putting the model into the assembly to see if there is any interference issues, running a simulation of it. *The previous statements can also be accomplished by a "Mechanical Designer". Depending on how big the company is.

A Mechanical engineer would run a anaylsis on this upgrade.

Prototyping would then come along and you may have to assist in problems that occur during the prototype phases.

Thanks

I'm like the OP, minus biology.
I have a very big interest in both electrical and mechanical. My biggest concern though is that I keep reading that EE is much harder than ME. What makes it so? Obviously the core curriculum for both paths are identical, but what in EE makes it more "intimidating?"
I know the whole schpill about "Some find 'X' interesting and 'Y' boring so 'X' is easier for some." But what is it about the EE classes that makes students think it's more difficult. Do those classes require higher level math or is it the course load per class?
I guess you might be able to tell that I'm leaning toward EE but I'm a little intimidated by what I've read and heard from EE students at my school.

Related to Mechanical vs. Electrical engineering vs. Bioengineering

1. What is the main difference between mechanical, electrical, and bioengineering?

Mechanical engineering primarily deals with the design, development, and maintenance of mechanical systems and machines. Electrical engineering focuses on the study and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism. Bioengineering, on the other hand, combines principles from both mechanical and electrical engineering to develop solutions for biological and medical problems.

2. Which field has the most career opportunities?

All three fields have a high demand for skilled professionals, but the job market for electrical engineering is currently growing at a faster rate due to the increasing use of technology in various industries. However, bioengineering is also a rapidly expanding field with opportunities in areas such as healthcare, pharmaceuticals, and biotechnology.

3. Can someone with a background in one field switch to another?

While it is possible to switch between these engineering fields, it may require additional education and training. For example, a mechanical engineer may need to learn about circuit design and programming to transition into electrical engineering. Similarly, an electrical engineer may need to take courses in biology and medicine to pursue a career in bioengineering.

4. Which field has the highest salary potential?

In general, electrical engineering tends to have a higher salary potential due to the high demand for skilled professionals in this field. However, this can vary depending on the specific job, location, and years of experience. Bioengineering also has a high earning potential, especially in specialized fields such as biomedical engineering or biotechnology.

5. Are there any similarities between these engineering fields?

Yes, all three fields require a strong foundation in math, physics, and problem-solving skills. Additionally, they all involve designing and creating solutions to real-world problems. There may also be some overlap in coursework, such as courses in mechanics and materials for mechanical and bioengineering, and courses in circuits and electronics for electrical and bioengineering.