Mechanical Engineering Technology vs. Physics

In summary, the student is torn between their current major in Mechanical Engineering Technology and their passion for physics. They are considering an engineering concentration in physics, but the curriculum does not offer key engineering classes they are interested in. They need to make a decision by Monday for registration. The student is also interested in working in the aerospace field and is aware that an ABET accredited engineering degree is necessary for this career path. They are considering the manufacturing engineering program at their school, which is accredited but newer and may not have a lot of information available. Overall, the student is seeking help in deciding which major to pursue.
Technium
I'm a freshman college student and I'm confused about what I want my major to be. My current major is Mechanical Engineering Technology. I love engineering because I want to design and create machines that will be beneficial to human life, but I love physics because I want to know how the universe operates. Sadly Physics is not offered as a minor at my school, but Physics majors have a choice to have an Engineering concentration. Even though I can choose this option, I won't have the Engineering class that I would really want. Materials Science, Statics, Fluid/Thermodynamics, and Hydraulics/Pneumatics aren't part of the curriculum. I need to decide by Monday, since registration for Spring classes start. I have a strong passion for both majors. Please help me decide.

Here is the course schedule for Physics:
http://www.vsu.edu/PDFFiles/University%20Relations/PHYSICS%20CURRICULUM%20ALL.pdf

PS: In engineering I really want to work in the Aerospace field. Lifelong passion...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, from my experience, Engineering technology is easier to find a job than Physics. If your goal is to get a job after you graduate, that is.

Physics is a good major to get into if you are into education. You will learn a lot more, and it is harder than engineering technology.

Technium said:
I'm a freshman college student and I'm confused about what I want my major to be. My current major is Mechanical Engineering Technology. I love engineering because I want to design and create machines that will be beneficial to human life, but I love physics because I want to know how the universe operates. Sadly Physics is not offered as a minor at my school, but Physics majors have a choice to have an Engineering concentration. Even though I can choose this option, I won't have the Engineering class that I would really want. Materials Science, Statics, Fluid/Thermodynamics, and Hydraulics/Pneumatics aren't part of the curriculum. I need to decide by Monday, since registration for Spring classes start. I have a strong passion for both majors. Please help me decide.

Here is the course schedule for Physics:
http://www.vsu.edu/PDFFiles/University%20Relations/PHYSICS%20CURRICULUM%20ALL.pdf

PS: In engineering I really want to work in the Aerospace field. Lifelong passion...

To be honest, if you want to work in aerospace design you'll need an ABET accredited engineering (not technology) degree in mechanical or aerospace engineering. VSU only offers ABET accredited engineering degrees in manufacturing engineering and computer engineering. The ABET accreditation is very important and will determine whether or not you are considered an engineer and are eligible to test for a PE license. I suggest you take a look at the manufacturing engineering degree and see if you might like that type of career. I also suggest you consider starting in the manufacturing engineering or mechanical technology track and transferring to an ABET accredited mechanical engineering program. Go to Career Services ASAP and see where different majors have ended up over the past few years. Ask professors in each department if you don't have much luck with that.

It will be more difficult to find a job with a physics degree, and the engineering concentration won't mean much. The accreditation is what counts for engineers. With a good GPA, a successful internship or two, and an accredited engineering degree, you should have a decent shot at an aerospace job. You'll have to take the reins though.

Edit: It looks like your manufacturing engineering program has only been accredited since 2006, so no one will have graduated from it yet and career services may have no idea what ABET means. Professors in that department probably recently put a lot of work into getting it accredited and may be willing to talk to you more about it.

See also http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos027.htm and http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos016.htm. Many manufacturing engineers become industrial production managers in aerospace and other fields, which is why I included the second link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Mechanical Engineering Technology vs. Physics

1. What is the main difference between Mechanical Engineering Technology and Physics?

Mechanical Engineering Technology is a practical and applied field that focuses on the design, development, and production of mechanical systems and machines, whereas Physics is a fundamental science that studies the properties and behavior of matter and energy. While Mechanical Engineering Technology applies principles and concepts from Physics to solve real-world problems, Physics focuses on understanding the fundamental laws and theories that govern the natural world.

2. Which field offers better job opportunities?

Both Mechanical Engineering Technology and Physics have a wide range of job opportunities. However, Mechanical Engineering Technology may offer more job prospects in industries such as manufacturing, transportation, and energy, while Physics graduates may find more opportunities in research and development, academia, and government agencies.

3. Can someone with a background in Mechanical Engineering Technology pursue a career in Physics?

Yes, it is possible for someone with a background in Mechanical Engineering Technology to pursue a career in Physics. However, they may need to acquire additional education and training in Physics to be able to work in research and development or academic positions.

4. Which field has a higher salary potential?

The salary potential for both fields varies depending on factors such as education, experience, and location. However, on average, Mechanical Engineering Technology graduates may have a higher starting salary than Physics graduates due to their practical skills and industry demand. However, as Physics graduates gain experience and move into higher positions, their salary potential can also increase significantly.

5. Is it possible to combine both fields in a career?

Yes, it is possible to combine both fields in a career. Some job roles, such as research and development engineers, may require a combination of skills from both Mechanical Engineering Technology and Physics. Additionally, graduates from either field can also pursue further education and training to expand their knowledge and skills in the other field, allowing them to work in interdisciplinary roles.