Mechanical engineering technologist

In summary: I've been researching Mechanical Engineering Technician vs Mechanical Engineering Technologist and I think I'll go with the technician route. Would you recommend this?Yes, I think it's a great idea. A lot of companies will only hire technicians and not engineers, so going as a technician will give you the opportunity to move up into engineering if you want to. Good luck!In summary, Tim is planning on going back to school to become a Mechanical Engineering Technician. He is unsure if he will enjoy the theoretical aspects of the engineering career, but he is more suited towards a practical and hands-on career. He recommends that he go to a technician route to gain the opportunity to move into engineering.
timgkelly
hey Lads and Lass',

I am planning on going back to school and I was hoping I could get some advice from you fine folks.

First, I'll give you a bit of background on my situation. I'm a red seal HVAC/R mechanic with an extensive background in building automation systems (DDC systems, pneumatics). I recently quit my job to take on a government job. Its a good job...pay is ok and hours are good. I'm doing maintenance/service on the mechanical systems as well as the testing and lab equipment, but I'm starting to get bored with all the checklists/legislated-weekly/monthly garbage they have me doing. I've always wanted to be an engineer, however, I'm unsure if I'll enjoy or excel at the theoretical aspects of it. I would be more suited towards a more practical and hands on type career (testing, troubleshooting, commissioning). While I was researching, I came across "mechanical engineering technologist" and "mechanical engineering technician". They sound interesting, but, I figured I'd ask the pros what their thoughts are on this career path. I'd really like to help engineers or scientists fabricating, building, testing and troubleshooting machinery and equipment. Do you think I'm on the right track?

Thanks!
Tim

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think you're absolutely on the right track. I'm currently a mechanical engineering (BSME) student and my school also offers mechanical engineering technology. You can go to the website (ipfw.edu) and basically look through the two course programs and you'll immediately notice that mechanical engineering technology is more hands on and less theoretical. For example, mechanical engineering technology doesn't go into nearly as much math, their physics is generally trig/algebra based and they have a lot more machining related classes.

Here is BSME: http://bulletin.ipfw.edu/preview_program.php?catoid=19&poid=3544

and here is MET: http://bulletin.ipfw.edu/preview_program.php?catoid=19&poid=3545

If you're concerned or uninterested in the theoretical side, MET sounds like a perfect fit for you. Another thing to keep in mind is that a lot of jobs you'll search for will just say "mechanical engineering," rarely will they say they're looking for an MET, so if you go the route of MET you'll probably end up applying for a lot of ME jobs as it's the only way to really know whether you meet their qualifications if they don't specify between the two. Good luck!

Great! Thanks a lot for your input!

I'm pretty sure this is what I'm going to do. With the college I want to go to, there is an option to knock 2 years off a Bachelor of engineering degree from a lot of universities if I decide down the road to go that route.

Related to Mechanical engineering technologist

1. What is a mechanical engineering technologist?

A mechanical engineering technologist is a professional who applies principles of mechanical engineering to design, develop, test, and maintain mechanical systems and products. They use their technical knowledge and skills to assist engineers in the design and production of mechanical devices.

2. What are the key responsibilities of a mechanical engineering technologist?

The key responsibilities of a mechanical engineering technologist include assisting with design and development tasks, conducting tests and experiments, analyzing data and creating reports, assisting with project management, and providing technical support to engineers and other team members. They may also be responsible for troubleshooting and maintaining mechanical systems.

3. What skills are required to become a successful mechanical engineering technologist?

Successful mechanical engineering technologists possess a strong understanding of mechanical principles and systems, as well as technical skills in areas such as CAD software, data analysis, and project management. They also need good communication, problem-solving, and teamwork skills to work effectively with engineers and other team members.

4. What education and training is required for a career as a mechanical engineering technologist?

Most mechanical engineering technologists have a bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering technology or a related field. They may also have completed an apprenticeship program or have experience working in a related field. Continuing education and training is also important to keep up with advancements in technology and industry standards.

5. What industries or sectors do mechanical engineering technologists work in?

Mechanical engineering technologists can work in a variety of industries and sectors, including manufacturing, aerospace, automotive, construction, and energy. They may also work in research and development, consulting, or government agencies. Their skills are in demand in many industries that require the design and production of mechanical systems and products.