Mechanical Engineering Personal Statement

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of a research statement for a mechanical engineering course, specifically focusing on the use of Maglev trains. The individual is concerned that their research may be seen as closely related to electrical engineering and wonders if they should change their topic. The other person advises that the purpose of the research statement is to show well-defined research interests and to align with potential faculty advisors. They suggest ensuring that the school has faculty whose research aligns with the topic before applying.
Hastha
hi,

I am applying for mechanical engineering course. The research part of my PS is about Maglev train. I choose it because i like the it works. So, i wrote about how the gap is maintained, how superconducting magnets are used and how researchers tried halbach array. know Mechanical engineering also comprises applied mechanics, mechatronics and control engineering. The problem is i am worried the admission tutor will find it off putting since it is closely related to electrical engineering. Do you think it's not related and i should change my research?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm an undergraduate student, so I'm the farthest you can be from the authority on the subject, but I would say that the point of the research statement is (assuming you're talking about graduate admissions)
1. to show that you're capable of singling out and discussing your research topics--i.e. you have well-defined research interests
2. to gauge whether or not their faculty's research would go well with your research interests and whether or not they have available faculty as potential advisers to you

So I think the thing to do would be make sure there are faculty at the school whose research would go along with what you write in your statement. If they don't, then why would you want to apply there?

Related to Mechanical Engineering Personal Statement

1. What is a mechanical engineering personal statement?

A mechanical engineering personal statement is a written document that explains your skills, experience, and goals related to the field of mechanical engineering. It is typically required as part of a college or graduate school application.

2. Why is a personal statement important for mechanical engineering?

A personal statement allows you to showcase your passion for mechanical engineering and highlight your relevant skills and experiences. It also helps admissions committees evaluate your potential for success in the field.

3. What should be included in a mechanical engineering personal statement?

A personal statement for mechanical engineering should include information about your academic background, relevant coursework or projects, work or internship experience, technical skills, and career goals. It should also explain why you are interested in the field and what makes you a strong candidate.

4. How long should a mechanical engineering personal statement be?

The length of a personal statement can vary, but it is typically around 500-1000 words. It is important to follow any specific guidelines provided by the institution or program to which you are applying.

5. How can I make my mechanical engineering personal statement stand out?

To make your personal statement stand out, be sure to highlight your unique experiences, skills, and passions related to mechanical engineering. Use specific examples to demonstrate your abilities and avoid clichés or generic statements. It is also important to proofread and revise your statement to ensure it is well-written and error-free.