Mechanical Engineer from Norway Seeks Help with Problem

In summary, Emilsen, a mechanical engineer from Norway, has a work related query about calculating the height and maximum acceleration of mass 1 when mass 2 is quickly released from being suspended in a spring. They have attempted to solve the problem using conservation of energy and the equation E1spring = E2spring + E2kinetic, but are unsure if this is the correct approach. They are seeking an explanation from someone with expertise on the topic.
Emilsen
Hi,
I'm a mechanical engineer from Norway who has an work related query.
Please see the attached picture describing the problem.

I'm trying to figure out how heigh mass 1 travels if mass 2 is quick released when being suspended in a spring. I'm also trying to figure out a the maximum acceleration, but that's 2. priority.

I have tried to work out an answer my self, but I don't think it's correct.
The thing I can't get my head around is how to calculate the height mass 1 travels above it's equilibrium due to the speed and spring tension. If the mass 2 had been release slowly, the answer could easily be found using the energy forumula(E=1/2*k*x^2), as far as I can understand.

Any bright minds who could spare a few minutes explaining me this?

Help is much appreciated!

Have a nice sunday.

Attachments

• Problem_Fjær.jpg
    Problem_Fjær.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 384
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Emilsen! Welcome to PF! :smile:

I think "quick release" simply means that M2 starts going down, and M1 starts going up.

So you can use conservation of energy (for M1 and the spring).

Hi tiny-tim,
Thanks for your reply.

I have tried the following equation setup:
E1spring=E2spring+E2kinetic
1/2kx12=1/2kx22+1/2mv2

I used F=kx to find x1 and x2 for mass 1+2 and mass 1.

I then tried the following formula to calculate how heigh the mass 1 went above the E2spring equilibrium:
v2=v1-gs/v1=0, to find s.

Is this the right path?

Hi Emilsen! :smile:
Emilsen said:
I'm trying to figure out how heigh mass 1 travels if mass 2 is quick released when being suspended in a spring.
Emilsen said:
I have tried the following equation setup:
E1spring=E2spring+E2kinetic
1/2kx12=1/2kx22+1/2mv2

nooo …

v is irrelevant, since the system both starts and finishes with v = 0

and what about gravity? :wink:

Hello there,

As a fellow scientist, it's great to see your enthusiasm for solving this problem. Based on the information provided, it seems like you are dealing with a simple harmonic motion situation where mass 1 is suspended from a spring and mass 2 is released suddenly. To calculate the height that mass 1 travels, you will need to use the conservation of energy principle. This means that the initial energy of the system (when mass 2 is suspended) must be equal to the final energy of the system (when mass 2 is released and mass 1 is moving).

To calculate the initial energy, you can use the potential energy stored in the spring, which is given by the equation E = 1/2 * k * x^2, where k is the spring constant and x is the displacement of mass 1 from its equilibrium position. The final energy can be calculated using the kinetic energy of mass 1, which is given by the equation E = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of mass 1 and v is its velocity.

To find the maximum acceleration, you can use the equation a = -k/m * x, where k is the spring constant and m is the mass of mass 1. This equation is derived from Newton's second law, F = ma, where the force acting on mass 1 is provided by the spring and is equal to -kx.

I hope this explanation helps you in solving your problem. If you still have any doubts, please don't hesitate to reach out for further clarification. Have a nice day!

Related to Mechanical Engineer from Norway Seeks Help with Problem

What is the problem that the mechanical engineer from Norway is seeking help with?

The specific problem that the mechanical engineer from Norway is seeking help with is not mentioned, so it is difficult to say. However, as a mechanical engineer, some common problems that they may face could include designing a new product, troubleshooting equipment failures, or optimizing a manufacturing process.

What skills and knowledge are typically required for a mechanical engineer?

A mechanical engineer typically needs to have a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and mechanics. They also need to have a good understanding of materials, manufacturing processes, and computer-aided design (CAD) software. Additionally, problem-solving, critical thinking, and communication skills are essential for a successful career as a mechanical engineer.

What resources are available to help the mechanical engineer with their problem?

There are many resources available to help a mechanical engineer with their problem. They can consult with other engineers, conduct research in scientific journals and publications, or attend conferences and workshops to learn from experts in their field. Additionally, there are online forums and communities where engineers can ask for help and advice from their peers.

What are some common challenges that mechanical engineers face?

Mechanical engineers may face challenges such as tight deadlines, budget constraints, and conflicting project requirements. They may also encounter technical challenges such as design flaws, material limitations, or unexpected failures. Communication and collaboration issues with team members or clients can also pose challenges for mechanical engineers.

What are some key qualities that a successful mechanical engineer should possess?

A successful mechanical engineer should have strong analytical and problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and the ability to think critically. They should also be creative, adaptable, and willing to continuously learn and improve their skills. Effective communication, teamwork, and time management are also important qualities for a successful mechanical engineer.