Mechanical Energy - Self energy of Universe

In summary, the total mechanical energy of the universe due to its expansion from the big bang is not meaningful to express as a kinetic object. The size of the universe is unknown and the observable universe can be asked for, but there is no energy associated with its expansion according to the standard view. However, the acceleration of expansion can be associated with an energy density of dark energy. Energy is not defined in general relativity on global scales.
Philosopha
What is the total mechanical energy (self energy) of the universe that is due to the fact that it expands, taken the big bang as the origin - on the basis of general relativity?

If anyone could supply me with the equation and number (what size is it in kgm2/s2) I would be very thankful.

Space news on Phys.org
There is no meaningful way to express the expansion of space as a kinetic object of objects inside.

Unrelated to that, the total size of the universe is unknown (it could even be infinite). You can ask for the observable universe.

Likes 1 person
Thx, that is what I had thought was the standart view, but someone whom I thought would know for sure made me believe differently ... that was why I asked this question. All good. Thx.

Last edited:
mfb said:
There is no meaningful way to express the expansion of space as a kinetic object of objects inside.

Unrelated to that, the total size of the universe is unknown (it could even be infinite). You can ask for the observable universe.

What can I ask for the observable universe? Considering there is no meaningful way to express the expansion as a kinetic object.
The observable universe is what I'm after. So is there any energy associated with its expansion or not? - Because I was told there is just the way I did it is wrong...

Thx in advance

Last edited:
Philosopha said:
What can I ask for the observable universe? Considering there is no meaningful way to express the expansion as a kinetic object.
The average energy density (for regular matter, dark matter and dark energy) is an interesting number.

The cosmic energy inventory

The observable universe is what I'm after. So is there any energy associated with its expansion or not? - Because I was told there is just the way I did it is wrong...
You can associate the acceleration of the expansion with an energy density (dark energy). You do not have to, however.

You will notice in the article MFB posted there is a kinetic energy value, however that energy describes a different process than those associated with expansion see section 2.10

Thank you both, and thank you very much for the paper. Will have a good read. The acceleration -DE context sounds exactly what I stumbeled across.

Energy is not defined in GR on global scales.

Likes 1 person

Related to Mechanical Energy - Self energy of Universe

1. What is mechanical energy?

Mechanical energy is a type of energy that is possessed by an object due to its motion or position. It can be either kinetic energy, which is the energy of motion, or potential energy, which is the energy stored in an object's position or shape.

2. How is mechanical energy related to the self energy of the universe?

Mechanical energy is not directly related to the self energy of the universe. However, the concept of self energy refers to the total energy of the universe, including all forms of energy such as mechanical, chemical, thermal, and so on.

3. Can mechanical energy be created or destroyed?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed from one form to another. This applies to mechanical energy as well. It can be converted from one form to another, but the total amount of mechanical energy in a closed system remains constant.

4. How does mechanical energy impact everyday life?

Mechanical energy plays a significant role in everyday life. It powers machines and vehicles, allowing us to travel and perform tasks more efficiently. It is also present in the food we eat, as our bodies use mechanical energy to move and function.

5. What are some examples of mechanical energy?

Some examples of mechanical energy include a swinging pendulum, a rolling ball, a spinning top, and a moving car. Other examples include a bouncing basketball, a vibrating guitar string, and a falling object. Essentially, any object that is in motion or has the potential to move has mechanical energy.