Mechanical Energy Lost In A One-dimensional Collision

In summary, a car with a mass of 1200 kg and initial speed of 25 m/s crashes into a truck with a mass of 9000 kg and initial speed of 20 m/s, resulting in the car's final velocity of 18 m/s to the east. The velocity of the truck after the collision is 20.9 m/s to the east. The mechanical energy lost in the collision is -14,955 Joules, or -15.0 kJ, which may be attributed to internal energy such as heat, physical deformation, friction, and sound energy.
NoPhysicsGenius

Homework Statement

A 1200-kg car traveling initially with a speed of 25 m/s in an easterly direction crashes into the rear end of a 9000-kg truck moving in the same direction at 20 m/s. The velocity of the car right after the collision is 18 m/s to the east. (a) What is the velocity of the truck right after the collision? (b) How much mechanical energy is lost in the collision? How do you account for this loss in energy?

Homework Equations

[tex]m_1v_{1i} + m_2v_{2i} = m_1v_{1f} + m_2v_{2f}[/tex]
[tex]K = \frac{1}{2}mv^2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to solve part (a) as follows ...

[tex]m_1v_{1i} + m_2v_{2i} = m_1v_{1f} + m_2v_{2f}[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow v_{2f} = \frac{m_1v_{1i} + m_2v_{2i} - m_1v_{1f}}{m_2}[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow v_{2f} = \frac{(1200 kg)(25 m/s) + (9000 kg)(20 m/s) - (1200 kg)(18 m/s)}{9000 kg} = 20.9 m/s east[/tex]

For part (b), however, I didn't get very far ...

I know the energy loss is due to heat (thermal energy), but I could only calculate the loss in kinetic energy, not mechanical energy:

[tex]K_f - K_i = \frac{1}{2}m_1{v_{1f}}^2 + \frac{1}{2}m_2{v_{2f}}^2 - \frac{1}{2}m_1{v_{1i}}^2 - \frac{1}{2}m_2{v_{2i}}^2[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow K_f - K_i = \frac{1}{2}(1200 kg)(18 m/s)^2 + \frac{1}{2}(9000 kg)(20.9 m/s)^2 - \frac{1}{2}(1200 kg)(25 m/s)^2 - \frac{1}{2}(9000 kg)(20 m/s)^2 = -14,955 Joules = -15.0 kJ [/tex]

The problem is that the answer in the back of the book is 8.74 kJ.

Physics news on Phys.org
NoPhysicsGenius said:
I know the energy loss is due to heat (thermal energy), but I could only calculate the loss in kinetic energy, not mechanical energy:

[tex]K_f - K_i = \frac{1}{2}m_1{v_{1f}}^2 + \frac{1}{2}m_2{v_{2f}}^2 - \frac{1}{2}m_1{v_{1i}}^2 - \frac{1}{2}m_2{v_{2i}}^2[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow K_f - K_i = \frac{1}{2}(1200 kg)(18 m/s)^2 + \frac{1}{2}(9000 kg)(20.9 m/s)^2 - \frac{1}{2}(1200 kg)(25 m/s)^2 - \frac{1}{2}(9000 kg)(20 m/s)^2 = -14,955 Joules = -15.0 kJ [/tex]

The problem is that the answer in the back of the book is 8.74 kJ.

Check your calculation again: working with your numbers, I don't quite get the book's result, but it's close (-9310 J). (Be careful about how much you round-off by early in the calculation. I may not be getting the book's answer because I used 20.93 m/sec for the truck's later speed, rather than 20.9.)

As for where the energy went, the term "internal energy" is a catch-all for lots of processes. Some of the energy could well go into heating, but some could also go into "physical deformation" of the bodies of the car and truck (crash damage), into frictional dissipation with the road surface because the rolling of tires briefly became sliding, and (a rather tiny bit) into sound (acoustical) energy.

Last edited:
I can't see anything wrong with your calculation. Mechanical energy is kinetic energy that isn't thermal energy.

i get -8680 no rounding

Related to Mechanical Energy Lost In A One-dimensional Collision

1. What is mechanical energy lost in a one-dimensional collision?

Mechanical energy lost in a one-dimensional collision refers to the amount of kinetic energy that is not conserved during the collision. It is the difference between the initial kinetic energy of the objects involved and their final kinetic energy after the collision.

2. What factors affect the amount of mechanical energy lost in a one-dimensional collision?

The amount of mechanical energy lost in a one-dimensional collision is affected by factors such as the mass, velocity, and elasticity of the objects involved. Objects with higher mass and velocity will typically experience greater energy loss, while more elastic objects will experience less energy loss.

3. How is mechanical energy lost in a one-dimensional collision calculated?

The formula for calculating mechanical energy lost in a one-dimensional collision is: Elost = Ei - Ef, where Elost is the mechanical energy lost, Ei is the initial kinetic energy, and Ef is the final kinetic energy of the objects involved in the collision.

4. Is mechanical energy lost in a one-dimensional collision always negative?

No, mechanical energy lost in a one-dimensional collision can be either positive or negative. A positive value indicates that the final kinetic energy is lower than the initial kinetic energy, while a negative value indicates that the final kinetic energy is greater than the initial kinetic energy.

5. How can the amount of mechanical energy lost in a one-dimensional collision be minimized?

The amount of mechanical energy lost in a one-dimensional collision can be minimized by using more elastic objects, reducing the mass or velocity of the objects involved, or by ensuring a more direct and head-on collision. Additionally, reducing external forces such as friction can also help minimize energy loss.