Mechanical efficiency with regards to torque and rotational speed

In summary: If you have a very high mechanical efficiency gearbox, then the output speed will be very close to the input speed, but if you have a low mechanical efficiency gearbox, then the output speed will be quite a bit slower than the input speed.
Fundog
In what way does mechanical efficiency in gears affect output torque and angular velocity? Mechanical efficiency affects power which is the product of torque and angular velocity. Let's say we have a gearbox with a mechanical efficiency of 0.95, hence the output power is 95% of the input power, but how does this affect speed and torque? Is only the torque reduced by 5% or is it a combination of torque and speed reduction? Does this vary from system to system, for example, a worm drive differs from a bevel gear drive?

I wish to design a gearbox whose input and output run at the same speed, however in between is a series of gears. Let's assume these gears have a resultant system efficiency of 0.9. My input and output has a theoretical gear ratio of 1:1 because I intend them to move at the same speed. As my system efficiency is 0.9, does this mean my output speed is no longer the same as my input speed so my gear ratio isn't 1:1 as designed? I am assuming this isn't the case as gears are timing devices, and what efficiency should affect is only torque.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The mechanical efficiency of a gearbox does not affect the output speed of the GB: the gear ratio determines the output speed relative to the input speed. If your gears are made out of silly-putty, there may be additional variation in speed beyond the nominal gear ratio, but there should not be any such effects if metal gears are used. The input torque will be reduced by the mechanical efficiency of the GB, and the output torque must be calculated based on the gear ratio and this reduced input torque.

Designing a GB with a 1:1 ratio is a bit of a puzzler: you add complexity to the drive train while reducing the amount of torque transmitted from the motor to whatever is being driven.

Related to Mechanical efficiency with regards to torque and rotational speed

1. What is mechanical efficiency?

Mechanical efficiency refers to the ratio of output power to input power in a mechanical system. It measures how well a system converts input energy into useful work.

2. How is mechanical efficiency calculated?

Mechanical efficiency can be calculated by dividing the output power by the input power and multiplying by 100% to get a percentage. A perfectly efficient system would have a mechanical efficiency of 100%.

3. What role does torque play in mechanical efficiency?

Torque is a measure of the rotational force applied to an object. In mechanical systems, torque is responsible for producing rotational motion. The amount of torque applied to a system affects its mechanical efficiency, as a higher torque can result in more work being done.

4. How does rotational speed impact mechanical efficiency?

Rotational speed, also known as angular velocity, is a measure of how quickly an object rotates. It affects mechanical efficiency by determining the amount of work that can be done in a given amount of time. A higher rotational speed can lead to a higher output power and potentially increase mechanical efficiency.

5. What factors can affect mechanical efficiency?

There are several factors that can affect mechanical efficiency, including friction, the design and condition of the system, and the amount of energy lost as heat. Reducing friction and optimizing the design of a system can improve its mechanical efficiency, while wear and tear or lack of maintenance can decrease it.