Mechanical calculator design problems

In summary, the conversation is about designing a mechanical calculator using spur gears, bevel gears, and stepped drums. The problem is deciding the dimensions of the gears and whether to select a convenient size or conduct analysis. The components will be made from nylon and the speaker has attached different views of the model. They also mention using natural gas flow meters and car odometers as reference and the possibility of finding old mechanical calculators in second-hand stores.
kevjcarvalho
hey...i have designed a mechanical calculator...i am using spur gears, bevel gears and stepped drums(Leibnitz drum)...my design is ready but the problems is how do i decide the dimensions of the gears like thickness, diameter etc...do i just select a convenient size...or do i do some analysis...if yes what analysis?...all my components will be made from nylon...custom made...please help...i have attached different views of the model with the frame removed...

Attachments

• Design.zip
    226.5 KB · Views: 223
Engineering news on Phys.org
Why? Natural gas flow meters and car odometers both have rotating dial mechanical readout with decimal carry. Copy them. About 40 years ago I sold my mechanical Friden desk calculator with multiply and divide for $25. I suspect you can still find them (or Marchants) in 2nd hand stores.
Bob S

Related to Mechanical calculator design problems

1. What are the main design considerations for mechanical calculators?

The main design considerations for mechanical calculators include precision, speed, durability, ease of use, and cost. A good mechanical calculator must be able to accurately perform calculations, work quickly, withstand frequent use, be user-friendly, and be affordable for the intended market.

2. How do mechanical calculators handle errors in calculations?

Mechanical calculators typically have built-in mechanisms for detecting and correcting errors. These can include error-correcting algorithms, mechanical levers and gears that prevent incorrect inputs, and the ability to manually reset the calculator if an error is made.

3. What materials are commonly used in the construction of mechanical calculators?

Mechanical calculators are often made with metal components such as steel, brass, and aluminum. Other materials such as plastic and rubber may also be used for certain parts. The choice of materials depends on the desired durability, precision, and cost of the calculator.

4. Can mechanical calculators be customized for specific functions or tasks?

Yes, mechanical calculators can be designed and customized for specific functions or tasks. This can include specialized buttons or levers for specific calculations, or the ability to switch between different units of measurement. Customization can also be done for aesthetic purposes, such as incorporating unique designs or colors.

5. How have advancements in technology affected the design of mechanical calculators?

Advancements in technology have greatly influenced the design of mechanical calculators. With the development of electronic calculators and computers, mechanical calculators are now designed with more advanced mechanisms and materials to compete with these newer technologies. They may also incorporate digital displays and other modern features to improve functionality and user experience.