Mechanical acceleration and veloctiy relationship

In summary, the conversation is about determining the velocity (v) and position (x) of a particle based on its motion expressed by the equation a=42-12x^2, with initial conditions given. The individual attempted to use the equation v=∫adt to find the velocity at x=6, but realized that a different method was needed. The conversation then diverged into a discussion about integrating the equation, with one person suggesting using the equation v=∫v dv = \frac{v^{2}}{2} + constant. The conversation ends with a mention of a similar method seen on a physics forum.
awesome4444

Homework Statement

The motion of a particle is expressed by a=42-12x2 where a is in m/s2 and X is in m, with the initial condition: v=0 when x=0 and t=0
Determine v when X=6
Determine X when v becomes 0 again

Homework Equations

I tried using a=dv/dt so i took the anti derivative of a to find the equation of v which turned out to be 42x-4x^3 + c and then pluged in 6 for x and found v=-612m/s

but then for the second part when i tried finding the roots of the equation b i have two answers +3.2 and -3.2

So i don't know if i should use +3.2 or -3.2
Can somone tell me if I am doing anything wrong? :(

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Note that a = [itex]\frac{dv}{dt}[/itex]

and so v = [itex]\int[/itex]adt but v [itex]\neq[/itex][itex]\int[/itex]adx.

so we would integrate (a*dt) but I am not sure wat dt is :P

I think that you know that the symbol

[itex]\int[/itex]...dt

means

'integrate ... with respect to t'

adt does not mean that a is multiplied by anything.

You can't integrate your equation with respect to t as your equation doesn't rely on t (which it should in an ideal world). Maybe you copied down wrong?

One can use the following:

a = [itex]\frac{dv}{dt}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{dv}{dx}[/itex][itex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/itex] = v[itex]\frac{dv}{dx}[/itex]

hence ∫a dx = ∫v dv = [itex]\frac{v^{2}}{2}[/itex] + constant

grzz said:
One can use the following:

a = [itex]\frac{dv}{dt}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{dv}{dx}[/itex][itex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/itex] = v[itex]\frac{dv}{dx}[/itex]

hence ∫a dx = ∫v dv = [itex]\frac{v^{2}}{2}[/itex] + constant

Clever.

I was reminded about that other method by a recent post on PHYSICS FORUMS!

Related to Mechanical acceleration and veloctiy relationship

What is mechanical acceleration?

Mechanical acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. It is a measure of how quickly an object's speed or direction changes.

What is the relationship between acceleration and velocity?

Acceleration and velocity are directly related, meaning that an increase in acceleration will result in a corresponding increase in velocity. This relationship is described by Newton's second law of motion: force equals mass times acceleration.

How is mechanical acceleration measured?

Mechanical acceleration is typically measured in units of meters per second squared (m/s²). This is the change in velocity (measured in meters per second) divided by the change in time (measured in seconds).

Can acceleration and velocity be negative?

Yes, both acceleration and velocity can be negative. A negative acceleration means that the object is slowing down, while a negative velocity indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of its positive velocity.

What factors affect mechanical acceleration?

Several factors can affect mechanical acceleration, including the force applied to an object, the object's mass, and the surface it is moving on. Additionally, factors such as air resistance and friction can also impact an object's acceleration.