Measuring Torque: Lever & Torque Wrench Info

In summary: It can be measured using a torque wrench or a spring balance. The units for torque are Newton-metres (Nm) or foot-pounds (ft-lb), depending on the unit of force and length used. The conversion between these units is derived from the conversions between pounds and kilograms and feet and metres.
lizscully
Hello,
How can I measure how much torque I'm exerting on a lever?
Can it be done with a torque wrench? Or do I need ?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
A torque is a rotational force about a fixed point so you don’t really exert a torque on a lever, you exert a torque with a lever. Though I suppose there may be a continuous set of torques along its length.

If you can use a torque wrench as your lever to exert your force about a fixed point then hey-presto, job done.

Otherwise you need something that can measure a linear force, such a spring balance, with which you can pull or push your lever. Provided you use your measuring device at a right-angle to your lever, the torque about your fixed point will be the force exerted times the distance along the lever between the rotational centre and the point at which your measuring device is attached.

If it happens to be spring balance marked in Newtons and you measure the radius in metres, your answer will be in Newtons times metres (Nm).

Can a spring balance be in "lbs"? Torque = F x r
How would I calculate the Torque in the case that the force applied to the lever is perpendicular to the direction of gravity? e.g. force applied to a door
Is it correct if I multiply the lbs to just the length?
Thank you for your help.

Last edited:
Can a spring balance be in "lbs"? Torque = F x r
How would I calculate the Torque in the case that the force applied to the lever is perpendicular to the direction of gravity? e.g. force applied to a door
Is it correct if I multiply the lbs to just the length?
Thank you for your help.

The SI units for torque are Newton-metres. A spring balance could be in lbs in which case it would be conventional to measure the distance in feet (foot-pounds). You can use any unit of force times any unit of length (lifting capacity of an European swallow time the length of your forearm, for example) but then your measurement become less meaningful to other people.

A spring balance measures force, it only coincidentally weighs things if you dangle them – then its measuring the force of gravitational attraction between the object and the Earth.

If your spring balance is horizontal, with no force applied, it will read 0, if you hook one end of it to your door handle and use it to shut the door it will register the force required to shut the door. If you multiply that by the distance between the handle and the hinge, you have the torque applied to the hinge by the handle, through the door.

Not going to get into vectors.

How were the conversions derived for: N-m, ft-lb?
If ft-lb is just the length (ft) multiply force (lbs), and N-m is length (m) multiply force (N), how did the conversion 1 ft-lb = 1.356 N come about?

A mass of one pound is equal to 0.4536 kg. A force of one pound is equal to 0.4536 kg x 9.81 ms^-2. You now have a conversion factor for the force. One foot is equal to 0.3048 m. Multiply the two factors together, and hey presto!

Torque is a linear force about a point.

Related to Measuring Torque: Lever & Torque Wrench Info

1. What is torque and why is it important to measure?

Torque is a measure of the twisting force applied to an object. It is important to measure torque because it helps determine the amount of force needed to tighten or loosen a bolt or nut, and ensures that the correct amount of force is applied to prevent damage to the object.

2. How do you measure torque with a lever?

To measure torque with a lever, you need to use a formula: Torque = Force x Distance. First, determine the distance from the point where the force is applied to the pivot point of the lever. Then, multiply this distance by the amount of force applied to the lever. The resulting number is the torque measurement.

3. What is a torque wrench and how does it work?

A torque wrench is a tool used to apply a specific amount of torque to a bolt or nut. It works by using a calibrated spring or clutch mechanism that measures the amount of torque applied. Once the desired torque is reached, the wrench will click or make a sound to indicate that the correct amount of force has been applied.

4. How do you calibrate a torque wrench?

To calibrate a torque wrench, you will need a torque wrench calibration tool or a torque tester. Attach the torque wrench to the calibration tool and set it to a specific torque value. Apply this torque to the calibration tool and check the reading on the torque wrench. If it matches the set value, the wrench is calibrated correctly. If not, adjustments can be made using the calibration tool.

5. Can torque be measured in different units?

Yes, torque can be measured in various units such as Newton-meters, foot-pounds, inch-pounds, and kilogram-meters. However, it is important to use the same unit of measurement consistently for accurate and consistent results.