Measuring Heat Loss in a Hollow Cylinder

In summary: No, it is not possible to measure the outward heat transfer if you are not constrained to the existing insulation and outside temperature measurement.In summary, you are heating a hollow cylinder with a NiCr wire which is then insulated. You are using thermocouples to measure the heat transfer rate into and out of the cylinder. You would like to verify the heat transfer rate using the temperature on the outside surface of the insulation. However, the temperature on the outside surface of insulation is too close to ambient to be useful.
monster_me
I am working on a problem where I am heating a hollow cylinder from the outside with a NiCr wire which is then insulated. The pipe is cooled by running water through the center of the hollow pipe. I would like to find the heat flux transfer rate outward.

So my set up from the inside to the outside of the pipe is thermocouple 1, thermocouple 2, NiCr wire, insulation, thermocouple 3. Thermocouple 1 and 2 and inside the cylinder wall. Thermocouple 3 is on the outside surface of the insulation. Using temperatures from thermocouple 1 and 2, I can determine the heat transfer rate into the cylinder and then I can subtract that from the power input into the NiCr wire to determine heat transfer rate outwards. However I would like to verify this number using the temperature on the outside surface of the insulation. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Do you know the thermal properties of the insulation and its thickness?

The temperature on the outside surface of insulation is too close to ambient to be useful.

It is much easier to measure and model heat conduction through a solid (i.e. the metal pipe) than to model convective heat transfer accurately, especially for this type of situation where (if I understand it right) you have an insulated object, probably with a not very well defined geometrical shape, in free air.

If you really want to measure it, I would be inclined to enclose the insulated pipe in a duct, blow air through it, and measure the temperature change and mass flow of the air. But it's probably not worth the bother.

Travis_King said:
Do you know the thermal properties of the insulation and its thickness?

The the properties and thickness of the insulation is not particularly uniform and not known with any reasonable accuracy.

AlephZero said:
It is much easier to measure and model heat conduction through a solid (i.e. the metal pipe) than to model convective heat transfer accurately, especially for this type of situation where (if I understand it right) you have an insulated object, probably with a not very well defined geometrical shape, in free air.

If you really want to measure it, I would be inclined to enclose the insulated pipe in a duct, blow air through it, and measure the temperature change and mass flow of the air. But it's probably not worth the bother.

You are the pipe and the heating wire surrounding the pipe are reasonably circular, however the insulation is not. You are correct and the insulated pipe is in free air. At the moment, everything outside the heat generating wire is exchangeable. Is there any way to measure the outward heat transfer if I were not constrained to the existing insulation and and outside temperature measurement?

Related to Measuring Heat Loss in a Hollow Cylinder

1. How is heat loss measured in a hollow cylinder?

Heat loss in a hollow cylinder can be measured by calculating the difference in temperature between the inner and outer surfaces of the cylinder. This can be done using a thermometer or a thermal imaging camera.

2. What factors affect heat loss in a hollow cylinder?

The factors that affect heat loss in a hollow cylinder include the material of the cylinder, its thickness, the temperature difference between the inner and outer surfaces, and the presence of any insulation or barriers.

3. Can heat loss in a hollow cylinder be prevented?

Yes, heat loss in a hollow cylinder can be prevented by using insulation materials such as foam, fiberglass, or reflective coatings. These materials help to reduce the temperature difference between the inner and outer surfaces, thus reducing heat loss.

4. How does the shape of a hollow cylinder affect heat loss?

The shape of a hollow cylinder does not have a significant impact on heat loss. However, a cylinder with a larger surface area will have a higher rate of heat loss compared to a cylinder with a smaller surface area.

5. Can heat loss in a hollow cylinder be used for practical applications?

Yes, measuring heat loss in a hollow cylinder is important for various practical applications such as determining energy efficiency in buildings, designing insulation systems, and calculating the heat transfer rate in industrial processes.