Measuring 500V DC burst using CRO

In summary, the conversation discusses the need to check whether a circuit is producing a burst of 500V in a CRO and how to determine if the CRO is capable of handling such a high voltage. The use of an HV probe is mentioned and options for purchasing and using a suitable probe are suggested. It is also mentioned that a voltage divider can be used for more accurate measurements.
Nikhil N
I have to check whether my circuit producing a burst of 500V in CRO. How can I check whether CRO is capable of handling this high voltage? I have heard about HV probe, how to check the probe that I have is of HV type?

Engineering news on Phys.org
If it doesn't look something like this it isn't High Voltage.
upload_2017-5-11_14-25-53.jpeg

Nikhil N said:
I have to check whether my circuit producing a burst of 500V in CRO. How can I check whether CRO is capable of handling this high voltage? I have heard about HV probe, how to check the probe that I have is of HV type?
You should be able to use a 100:1 'scope probe for that. Read through this tutorial and see what you can find online to buy:

http://www.radio-electronics.com/info/t_and_m/oscilloscope/oscilloscope-probes.php
Tom.G said:
If it doesn't look something like this it isn't High Voltage.
View attachment 203398
Depends on the voltage. Over 10kV or so, that's true. For 500V, the 100:1 probe can be enough. We use 100:1 probes to monitor our CE Mark test waveforms (Surge to 6kV, Burst to 4kV) routinely. :smile:

How accurate do you need this to be? You could build a voltage divider and probably get to about 1%. Due to cost - a simple voltage divider is used for voltage sensing in a lot of power converters in this V range,

Likes berkeman

Related to Measuring 500V DC burst using CRO

1. What is a CRO?

A CRO, or cathode ray oscilloscope, is a piece of equipment used by scientists and engineers to measure voltage, current, and other electrical signals over time. It works by displaying a graph of the signal on a screen, allowing for visual analysis and measurement.

2. How do you measure 500V DC burst using a CRO?

To measure a 500V DC burst using a CRO, you will need to first adjust the CRO's settings to measure DC voltage. Then, connect the probe to the circuit where the 500V DC burst is expected. The CRO will display the voltage as a waveform on its screen, allowing you to measure the peak voltage of the burst.

3. Can you measure AC voltage using a CRO?

Yes, a CRO can measure both AC and DC voltage. However, the settings and probe connections may need to be adjusted for accurate measurement of AC voltage.

4. Are there any safety precautions when measuring high voltage bursts using a CRO?

Yes, it is important to take safety precautions when working with high voltage bursts. Make sure to use appropriate personal protective equipment and to follow proper procedures for handling and connecting the CRO probe to the circuit. It is also recommended to use a high voltage probe specifically designed for measuring high voltage bursts.

5. What is the importance of measuring 500V DC burst using a CRO?

Measuring electrical signals, including high voltage bursts, is crucial in understanding and analyzing various systems and devices. By measuring a 500V DC burst using a CRO, scientists can gather valuable data and insights about the behavior and characteristics of the circuit or device being studied.