Measurement in quantum mechanics problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of measurement and its effect on the wave function in a harmonic oscillator potential. The first energy eigenstate is the answer for (a) since it corresponds to the measured energy. The meaning of "leaving the system alone" in (b) is unclear and further research is needed to understand its effects. The Schrodinger equation is mentioned as a way to understand the evolution of the wave function between measurements. Successive measurements may result in the same energy and energy eigenstate as the first measurement.
jplcarpio
Hi all,

In our assignment, we were given this question:

[PLAIN]http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/4854/prob213.png

I know that for (a), the answer is the first energy eigenstate since the measured energy corresponds to it. I'm not sure about the situation in (b), though.

Does "leaving the system alone, allowing it to evolve in the harmonic oscillator potential" mean that it returns to its original state (as given in the equation in the problem?

Or does it mean that a new state is created, following those in the harmonic oscillator potential, but with only the first energy eigenstate remaining?

I vaguely know that the act of measuring itself causes the wavefunction to collapse to a certain measurement and state, but what does the act of leaving it alone do?

I've tried to search through our reference, Introduction to Quantum Mechanics by David Griffiths, and through the Internet but so far I haven't seen material that might help me understand.

Thank you! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Measurement collapses the wave function. What equation tells you how the wave function evolves in between measurements?

I guess that would be the equation of the initial state, as given in the problem, since it's in the harmonic oscillator potential into which the system was allowed to evolve back. Would the initial state always hold in between measurements if it is left alone?

I've read that successive measurements would result in the same energy and energy eigenstate as the first measurement. Is that the only case when the measurement causes the wave function to change into specific eigenstates?

Thank you very much :)

No, that's not correct. Try reading up on the Schrodinger equation.

Hi there,

Measurement in quantum mechanics can be a tricky concept to understand. In this particular problem, it seems like the system is initially in the first energy eigenstate, and the question is asking what happens if we leave it alone to evolve in the harmonic oscillator potential.

In quantum mechanics, the wavefunction describes the state of a system. When we measure the energy of the system, we are essentially collapsing the wavefunction to a particular state (in this case, the first energy eigenstate). This is known as the "measurement problem" in quantum mechanics.

When we leave the system alone to evolve in the harmonic oscillator potential, the wavefunction will continue to evolve according to the Schrödinger equation. This means that the system will not necessarily return to its original state, but rather it will evolve to a new state that is a superposition of the energy eigenstates (including the first energy eigenstate). This is known as "quantum evolution".

So, in short, leaving the system alone does not necessarily mean that it will return to its original state, but rather it will evolve to a new state that is a superposition of the energy eigenstates. I hope this helps clarify the concept of measurement and evolution in quantum mechanics.

Related to Measurement in quantum mechanics problem

1. How is measurement defined in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, measurement refers to the process of obtaining information about a physical system. This is done by observing the system and obtaining a value for a property, such as position or momentum.

2. What is the uncertainty principle in measurement?

The uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to simultaneously know the exact values of certain pairs of properties, such as position and momentum, of a quantum system. This means that there will always be a degree of uncertainty in the measurement of these properties.

3. How do measurements affect quantum systems?

Measurements in quantum mechanics can have a significant impact on the state of a system. This is because the act of measurement causes the system to collapse into one of its possible states, known as the collapse of the wave function.

4. Can measurements be predicted in quantum mechanics?

No, measurements in quantum mechanics cannot be predicted with certainty. This is due to the probabilistic nature of quantum systems, where the outcome of a measurement can only be predicted in terms of probabilities rather than definite values.

5. How do scientists account for measurement errors in quantum mechanics?

Measurement errors in quantum mechanics are accounted for by using statistical methods and by repeating measurements multiple times. This helps to reduce the impact of errors and obtain a more accurate understanding of the system being measured.