Meaning of Scale of an events/process in MonteCarlo

• Thread starter Alkass
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scale
In summary, the term "scale" in the context of events and processes in MonteCarlo refers to three types of scales: the momentum exchange of the process (Q^2), the renormalization scale which is a cut-off for loop integrals, and the factorization scale which separates particle splittings from matrix elements. These scales are important in perturbation calculations and can have an impact on the accuracy of the results.
Alkass
Meaning of "Scale" of an events/process in MonteCarlo

Hi there

I do have this question - I often hear that "this depends on the scale of the process" for example when it comes to match the matrix-elements with a parton-shower program (I am new to MonteCarlo world)

so, what does "scale" means ? Is just the Q that is carried out by the produced particle or is what we could define as factorization scale ie Q^2 = m^2(W) + Sum{JetPT(i)}

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello,

There are I guess 3 types of scale present normally.

The first is the momentum exchange of the process, Q^2. Which is determined by the incoming colliding particles or by a previous branching if you are talking about Parton showering.

Then there are two un physical scales. Renormalization and factorisation

This first if these is essentially a momentum cut off for loop integrals.

The second has to do with factoring some particle splittings into say a proton, as oppose to including it in a matrix element.

These last two scales are a remnant if the fact we are doing perturbation only to some order. I.e. because we are ignorant to higher orders we haven't calculated.

Hope this helps

Related to Meaning of Scale of an events/process in MonteCarlo

1. What is the meaning of scale in a Monte Carlo event/process?

The scale in a Monte Carlo event/process refers to the magnitude or size of the events or processes being simulated. It can represent the number of particles, energy levels, or other parameters that are being considered in the simulation.

2. How is scale determined in a Monte Carlo simulation?

Scale is typically determined by the input parameters and assumptions used in the simulation. These can include the number of iterations, the size of the sample, and the range of values for each parameter.

3. What is the significance of scale in a Monte Carlo simulation?

The scale in a Monte Carlo simulation is important because it affects the accuracy and precision of the results. A larger scale can lead to more accurate results, but it also requires more computational resources and time to run the simulation.

4. Can the scale be changed during a Monte Carlo simulation?

Yes, the scale can be changed during a Monte Carlo simulation by adjusting the input parameters or assumptions. However, changing the scale can also affect the validity of the results, so it should be done carefully and with a clear understanding of the impact on the simulation.

5. How does the scale affect the reliability of a Monte Carlo simulation?

The scale can have a significant impact on the reliability of a Monte Carlo simulation. If the scale is too small, the results may not be representative of the actual system being simulated. On the other hand, if the scale is too large, the simulation may not accurately capture the details of the system and lead to less reliable results.