Meaning of continuous frequency domain

In summary, the conversation discusses discrete-time transforms, specifically the Discrete-time Fourier transform and the Z-transform, and their relationship to continuous frequency domain. The difference between discrete and continuous domains is explained, and an example of a transformation from a discrete domain to another discrete domain is mentioned. The conversation ends with a question about the application of different transform methods.
pairofstrings

Homework Statement

Discrete-time transforms

What does it mean when it says this :
These transforms have a continuous frequency domain:

Discrete-time Fourier transform
Z-transform

What is the meaning of continuous frequency domain..?

Physics news on Phys.org
So in a discrete domain the functions are only defined at integer values of the independent variables.

For the continuous domain the functions are defined at real number values (or complex values in the case of the z-domain).

For an example of a transformation that maps from a discrete domain to another discrete domain read about the Discrete Fourier Transform (as oppose to the Discrete TIME Fourier Transform).

Does that help at all? Sorry, I am not very good at explaining stuff.

I bet the math guys/gals in here are going to get onto me for trying to explain this so sloppily!

Are you studying signal processing or just math?

Last edited:
I am studying both. But I like the answer to be inclined more towards Signals.
Also I looked at different transform methods. Can anybody tell me where all http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_transforms" transform methods are used?

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Meaning of continuous frequency domain

1. What is the meaning of continuous frequency domain?

The continuous frequency domain refers to a mathematical representation of a signal or function in terms of frequency, rather than time. It is often used in signal processing and communication systems to analyze signals and their properties.

2. How is the continuous frequency domain different from the discrete frequency domain?

The continuous frequency domain represents a signal as a continuous function, while the discrete frequency domain represents a signal as a series of discrete values. This means that the continuous frequency domain contains an infinite number of frequencies, while the discrete frequency domain only contains a finite number of frequencies.

3. What is the relationship between the continuous time domain and the continuous frequency domain?

The continuous time domain and the continuous frequency domain are related through the Fourier transform. The Fourier transform is a mathematical operation that converts a signal from the time domain to the frequency domain, allowing us to analyze the frequency components of a signal.

4. How do we interpret the results of a continuous frequency domain analysis?

In a continuous frequency domain analysis, the results are typically represented as a graph of frequency versus magnitude or phase. This allows us to visualize the frequency components of a signal and understand how they contribute to the overall signal.

5. What are some practical applications of the continuous frequency domain?

The continuous frequency domain is used in a wide range of applications, including audio and image processing, wireless communication systems, and medical imaging. It allows us to analyze and manipulate signals in the frequency domain, which can be useful for tasks such as noise reduction, signal filtering, and data compression.