Mean Value Theorem exercise (Analysis)

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that a^{1/n} - b^{1/n} < (a-b)^{1/n} for a>b>0 and n \in \mathbb{N} satisfying n \geq 2. The hint suggests showing that f(x):= x^{1/n}-(x-1)^{1/n} is decreasing for x\geq 1 and evaluating f at 1 and a/b. The conversation then discusses evaluating f at these values and using algebra to show the desired inequality.
antiemptyv

Homework Statement

Let [tex]a>b>0[/tex] and let [tex]n \in \mathbb{N}[/tex] satisfy [tex]n \geq 2[/tex]. Prove that [tex]a^{1/n} - b^{1/n} < (a-b)^{1/n}[/tex].
[Hint: Show that [tex]f(x):= x^{1/n}-(x-1)^{1/n}[/tex] is decreasing for [tex]x\geq 1[/tex], and evaluate [tex]f[/tex] at 1 and a/b.]

Homework Equations

I assume, since this exercise is at the end of the Mean Value Theorem section, I am to use the Mean Value Theorem.

The Attempt at a Solution

I can show what the hint suggests. I guess I'm not sure how those ideas help exactly.

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you evaluate f at 1 and a/b?

After you do that, keep in mind that a>b>0. You don't need to explicitly apply the mean value theorem (but you probably implicitly applied it when you proved that f(x) was decreasing for x>=1).

Thanks for your quick reply. Let's see what we have here...

[tex]f(1)=1[/tex]

and

[tex]f(\frac{a}{b}) = \frac{a^{1/n}-(a-b)^{1/n}}{b^{1/n}}[/tex].

Last edited:
ohh, i think i see now.

[tex] 1 < a/b[/tex]

and, since f is decreasing,

[tex]f(\frac{a}{b}) = \frac{a^{1/n}-(a-b)^{1/n}}{b^{1/n}} < 1 = f(1)[/tex]

and the rest is just algebra to show

[tex]a^{1/n} - b^{1/n} < (a-b)^{1/n}[/tex].

look good?

Last edited:

Related to Mean Value Theorem exercise (Analysis)

1. What is the Mean Value Theorem?

The Mean Value Theorem is a fundamental theorem in calculus that states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval and differentiable on the open interval, then there exists at least one point in the interval where the slope of the tangent line is equal to the average rate of change of the function.

2. How is the Mean Value Theorem applied in real life?

The Mean Value Theorem is used to prove important results in calculus, such as Rolle's Theorem and the First and Second Derivative Tests. It is also used in physics and engineering to find maximum and minimum values of functions.

3. What is the difference between Rolle's Theorem and the Mean Value Theorem?

Rolle's Theorem is a special case of the Mean Value Theorem where the average rate of change is zero. In other words, it states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval and differentiable on the open interval, and the function's values at the endpoints of the interval are equal, then there exists at least one point in the interval where the derivative is equal to zero.

4. How is the Mean Value Theorem used to prove the Intermediate Value Theorem?

The Intermediate Value Theorem states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval, then the function takes on every value between the values at the endpoints. The Mean Value Theorem is used to prove this by showing that between any two points in the interval, there exists a point where the function's value is equal to the average of the values at the endpoints.

5. Can the Mean Value Theorem be used for functions with multiple variables?

No, the Mean Value Theorem only applies to functions with a single variable. However, there are extensions of the theorem for functions with multiple variables, such as the Mean Value Inequality and the Mean Value Vector Theorem.