Mean Value Theorem Applications

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of the theorem that if f: R^n -> R is defined by f(x)=arctan(||x||), then |f(x)-f(y)| <= ||x-y|| for all x,y E R^n. The conversation also considers the conditions necessary for the theorem to hold, including the differentiability of f on an open, convex set S. The conversation suggests breaking the problem into cases to prove this condition and discusses potential difficulties when 0 is on the line connecting x and y.
kingwinner
Q: Prove that if f: R^n -> R is defined by f(x)=arctan(||x||), then |f(x)-f(y)| <= ||x-y|| FOR ALL x,y E R^n.
[<= means less than or equal to]

Theorem: (a corollary to the mean value theorem)
Suppose f is differentiable on an open, convex set S and ||gradient [f(x)]|| <= M for all x E S. Then |f(b) - f(a)| <= M ||b-a|| for all a,b E S.

Now the trouble is that f(x)=arctan(||x||) is not differentiable at x=0 E R^n since the partial derivatives doesn't exist at x=0. Even worse, notice that S = R^n \ {0} is not convex.

Then how I can show that "f is differentiable on an open, convex set S"? (what is S in this case?) I strongly believe that this is an important step because if the conditions in the theorem are not fully satisifed, then there is no guarantee that the conclusion will hold. But this seems to be the only theorem that will help. What should I do?

Next, how can I prove that the conclusion is true FOR ALL x,y E R^n ?

Thanks for explaining!:smile:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you want to use that theorem, just break the problem into cases. Suppose x and y are points such that 0 is not on the line between x and y. Then you shouldn't have any trouble finding an open convex set containing x and y that doesn't contain 0. Now what happens if 0 is on the line? You could break things up more, but I think it's easier to think about a sequence x_n->x where 0 is not on the line connecting x_n and y.

Last edited:
How can I break the problem into cases such that in each case, f is differentiable on an open, convex set S?

Do one case at a time. If 0 is not on the line between x and y, then what? If it is, then you are going to have a lot of trouble finding an open convex set on which f is differentiable containing x and y. Obviously. So give up that hope. Please reread my post.

If 0 is on the line, you could try breaking the problem up by arguing about the difference between x and 0 and y and 0, but that doesn't involve a single convex domain of differentiability. And it's certainly more complicated.

Related to Mean Value Theorem Applications

1. What is the Mean Value Theorem?

The Mean Value Theorem is a fundamental theorem in calculus that states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval and differentiable on the open interval, then there exists at least one point within the interval where the slope of the tangent line is equal to the slope of the secant line.

2. How is the Mean Value Theorem used in real life?

The Mean Value Theorem has various applications in different fields such as physics, economics, and engineering. It can be used to find the average rate of change in physical systems, determine the speed of objects, and analyze the changes in economic trends over time.

3. Can the Mean Value Theorem be applied to non-differentiable functions?

No, the Mean Value Theorem can only be applied to functions that are differentiable on the open interval. A function that is not differentiable at a point will not have a well-defined tangent line at that point, which is necessary for the theorem to hold.

4. How does the Mean Value Theorem relate to other calculus concepts?

The Mean Value Theorem is closely related to other calculus concepts such as Rolle's Theorem and the Intermediate Value Theorem. It is also a key component in the proof of the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, which relates the concepts of differentiation and integration.

5. Can the Mean Value Theorem be extended to multivariable functions?

Yes, there is a multivariable version of the Mean Value Theorem known as the Mean Value Theorem for Integrals. It states that if a function is continuous on a closed region, then there exists at least one point within the region where the average value of the function is equal to the value of the function at that point.