ME or AE to enter the field of AE

In summary, an ME with a focus on aerospace may be a better choice than a direct AE major because it will give you more job prospects and opportunities in the aerospace industry. However, other factors such as GPA, work ethic, and experience are more important than the engineering field on the degree.
TheQuantumBoy
I want to work in the field of AE, I live in India and am applying to institutions in the US for undergrad. A lot of people told me that as an international student or even as person it will be very hard to get a job in the field of aerospace if I major in AE. If instead, I major in ME with a minor in AE, that would be a better option and would open up my job prospects a little more. I do love mechanics, and mechanical engineering but I'm more focused towards designing aircraft, or space vehicles. Is this right decision ( majoring in ME with a minor in AE instead of a direct major in AE) ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jobs in AE are more cyclical and subject to supply and demand. ME job opportunities are more consistent over time.

AE jobs also are more subject to geographical constraints. MEs have more options in just about any place you want to live.

You think you will go anywhere for that dream job, but then you fall in love and get married, and that dream spouse wants to live somewhere without a lot of AE jobs.

I know M.Engineers have more job prospects but in terms of working in the AE industry,will a undergrad major in ME be more preferrable to one in AE? Will it make it make a considerable difference ?

TheQuantumBoy said:
I know M.Engineers have more job prospects but in terms of working in the AE industry,will a undergrad major in ME be more preferrable to one in AE? Will it make it make a considerable difference ?

There are many considerations more important than the engineering field on the degree: reputation of school, GPA, internships completed, accomplishments and experience along the way, ABET accreditation.

We often try and think about answering the question with "other factors being equal" but there are so many more schools with ME programs than AE programs that it is unlikely that other factors will be anywhere close to equal. And "other factors being equal" with a top 50 engineering school and a 3.5-4.0 GPA is a different deal from "other factors being equal" with a 2.X GPA and a low ranked school.

I know some engineers working in AE with ME degrees. Work to become a great engineer with a great work ethic. Attend the best engineering school you can afford. Earn a great GPA and try and get some experience with relevant projects. Be willing to accept ME jobs if needed along the way. The field on the degree will not hold you back. Laziness will hold you back.

TheQuantumBoy said:

An AE IS an ME that focuses on aerospace, you might be missing some specific coursework but an ME is generally set to do the work an AE does (ie thermo, fluids, etc).

Related to ME or AE to enter the field of AE

What is the difference between ME and AE?

ME stands for Mechanical Engineering, while AE stands for Aerospace Engineering. While both fields involve the study of physical systems and how they work, ME focuses on the design and analysis of mechanical systems, while AE specifically focuses on the design and analysis of systems that operate in the Earth's atmosphere or in space.

What skills are needed to enter the field of AE?

To enter the field of AE, you will need to have a strong foundation in math and physics, as well as critical thinking and problem-solving skills. Additionally, knowledge in areas such as computer-aided design, materials science, and aerodynamics will be beneficial.

What type of education is required for a career in AE?

Most employers in the field of AE require a bachelor's degree in Aerospace Engineering or a related field such as Mechanical Engineering or Physics. Some positions may also require a master's or a doctoral degree.

What types of jobs are available in the field of AE?

There are a variety of job opportunities available in the field of AE, including roles in design, analysis, research and development, and testing. Some common job titles include Aerospace Engineer, Flight Test Engineer, and Systems Engineer.

What is the job outlook for the field of AE?

The job outlook for AE is positive, with a projected 3% growth rate from 2019-2029. This is due to the increasing demand for new and improved technologies in the aerospace industry, such as drones and space exploration. However, competition for jobs may be high, so it is important to have a strong education and skill set.