ME Dynamics - Multiple ideal pulleys + an inclined plane

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the acceleration of two blocks, A and B, by relating their constraint equations and considering the forces acting on each block. The conclusion is that the acceleration of block A is equal to 2/3 times the acceleration of block B.
Feodalherren

Homework Statement

Untitled.png

Find the acceleration of both blocks

Homework Equations

Dynamics

The Attempt at a Solution

Everything in black is given in the problem. The red/blue is my work.

First I want to relate the acceleration of block A to block B by finding the constraint equations:

Lrope = 2L1 + L2 + 2L3 + constants(lengths around pulleys)

taking the derivative twice to find the acceleration:

0 = 2L1 + L2 + 2L3

I feel like I have too many variable here. I should be able to knock it down to two so that I can relate the acceleration of A to B, correct? How would I do that?

The forces on B, all in Y using the normal xy-coordinate system.

MbAb = 3T - Mb(g)

The forces on A, using a coordinate system along the incline where n1 is "up" and n2 is positive along the slope DOWN:

Sum of the forces in n1 = ma(n1) = Na - mgCos30
Sum of the foces in n2 = ma(n2) = -2T - Fa + mgSin30

Relating the two coordinate systems:

n1 = Cos 30 j - Sin30 i
n2 = -sin30 j - cos30 i

Have I done everything correctly so far?

Physics news on Phys.org
There's a small error in the drawing. The small pulley right above L3 is fixed to the large pulley above it.

To investigate your constraint equation, consider the situation if block A moved upslope by some distance x. Two strings are "giving up" a length x, so that makes a length of 2x available to pass over the top pulley. That "new" length has to be distributed over how many lengths as the bottom pulley moves down? By how much must each extend in order to accommodate the "new" 2x?

They must extend by 2x/3 ?

They must extend by 2x/3 ?

Looks good.

So then

a1 = 2/3 a2?

Feodalherren said:
So then

a1 = 2/3 a2?
Well, depending upon which block is a1 and which is a2, that seems to be a valid conclusion.

Ops :). a1 would be the acceleration of block A and a2 wold be the acceleration of block B.

Last edited:

Related to ME Dynamics - Multiple ideal pulleys + an inclined plane

1. What is ME Dynamics?

ME Dynamics, also known as Mechanical Engineering Dynamics, is a branch of mechanics that deals with the study of motion and forces of moving objects. It involves the application of mathematical principles and physics laws to understand and analyze the behavior of machines and systems.

2. What are ideal pulleys?

Ideal pulleys are hypothetical mechanical devices that are used to redirect the direction of a force applied to a moving object. They are considered ideal because they do not have any physical properties, such as mass or friction, that can affect the motion of the object.

3. How does an inclined plane affect the motion of objects?

An inclined plane is a flat surface that is angled or sloped. It can change the direction and magnitude of the force applied to an object, making it easier to move the object along the plane. The steeper the angle of the inclined plane, the greater the force needed to move the object.

4. What are the applications of ME Dynamics in real life?

ME Dynamics has various applications in real life, such as in the design and analysis of machines, vehicles, and structures. It is also used in the development of prosthetics and robotics. ME Dynamics principles are also applied in the fields of aerospace, automotive, and biomedical engineering.

5. How can ME Dynamics be used to improve efficiency?

ME Dynamics can be used to optimize and improve the efficiency of machines and systems by analyzing the forces and motion involved. By understanding the principles of ME Dynamics, engineers can design more efficient and effective machines that require less energy and produce better results.