MCQ - rocks (for 11 year olds)

In summary, a sedimentary rock with very small grains could have been deposited by water, wind, or glaciers. However, the size of the grains is also affected by the energy of the environment and the time over which it is applied. Therefore, the correct answer to the question is option D: We cannot say how the grains were transported. This is not the best question as there are other factors to consider besides the transport medium.
SUDOnym
Hi there

I am a physics teacher but also teach all sciences up to age 13. Have encountered an mcq on rocks (that I am teaching to a class of 11 year olds (year 7))which I cannot answer:

A sedimentary rock has very small grains.
Which statement is true?
A The grains were deposited by fast-flowing water.
B The grains were deposited by a glacier.
C The grains could have been deposited by water or by the wind.
D We cannot say how the grains were
transported.

Please help me out if you know the answer!

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Glacier transports everything, including large boulders.

Thanks... are you sure that's the answer here... I was thinking it might be either C or D...

I never told B is the answer, I pointed to the fact that should help _find_ the answer.

oh right... is it C then?

That would be my guess, as good as yours.

Grain size, while partly dependent upon source rock and transport medium, is more related to the energy of the environment and the time over which this energy is applied to the grains.

Thus distance from source provides time for grain size to be reduced by impact and abrasion.
Or, as on a beach, repeated reworking of the grains will diminish their size.

Fast flowing water will easily support small grains, so A is wrong.
Glaciers can deposit boulder clay, a very fine grained material, but as Borek has noted they may also deposit boulders.

The grains could have been deposited by water or wind, but as we have seen glaciers could also be implicated, I have to opt for D.

Likes Tyto alba
Definitely it is not the best question ever asked.

Borek said:
Definitely it is not the best question ever asked.

I agree. Google for "oolites".

Related to MCQ - rocks (for 11 year olds)

1. What is the difference between igneous, sedimentary, and metamorphic rocks?

Igneous rocks are formed from cooled magma or lava. Sedimentary rocks are formed from layers of sediment that have been compacted and cemented together. Metamorphic rocks are formed when other rocks are subjected to high heat and pressure.

2. How can you identify different types of rocks?

Rocks can be identified based on their physical and chemical properties. Igneous rocks tend to be more coarse-grained and have a glassy texture, while sedimentary rocks often have visible layers and can sometimes contain fossils. Metamorphic rocks have a layered or banded appearance and may have shiny crystals.

3. What are the uses of rocks?

Rocks have many uses in our everyday lives. Igneous rocks, such as granite, are commonly used as building materials. Sedimentary rocks, like limestone, are used in construction and to make cement. Metamorphic rocks, such as marble, are often used in sculptures and building facades.

4. How are rocks formed?

Rocks are formed through a process called the rock cycle. This involves the continuous transformation of rocks from one type to another through processes like weathering, erosion, and heat and pressure.

5. What are some interesting facts about rocks?

Did you know that the oldest rocks on Earth are over 4 billion years old? Also, rocks can be found on other planets and moons in our solar system. The study of rocks is called petrology and is an important part of geology, the study of the Earth's structure and composition.