Magnetism: Explaining the Attraction to a 7-Year-Old

In summary, the conversation revolves around a 7-year-old's question about magnetism and how the force is created between a magnet and a paper clip. The parent explains that both objects are attracted to each other and that this is described by Newton's 3rd Law. The child then brings up the concept of force and tension, using the example of pulling on a rope tied to a tree. The parent clarifies that the tension force only exists while the rope is being pulled and that the force disappears once the child is "dragged" even a small amount. They also mention that the elasticity of the rope plays a role in providing the tension force.
Physics is awesome
My 7 year old child asked me today about magnetism. His question was "Does the magnet pull in the paper clip, or does the paper clip pull the magnet" . He then said to me "If i tie a rope to a tree and pull on the rope with enough force I will be dragged to the tree, so how do you know which item the paper clip or the magnet is creating the force. I am totally dumbfounded myself and I just said they are just attracted to each other and both are creating the force, but honestly have no clue how to answer this and would like to give him a correct answer.

Likes sophiecentaur
Physics news on Phys.org
Physics is awesome said:
I will be dragged to the tree,
As soon as he is 'dragged' by even a small amount, the force will disappear. (The tension is a 'reaction force' that's only there whilst you are pulling). For any real rope, there will be some small degree of elasticity and the extension of the rope will provide the tension force. A rubber bungee will do the same thing as a rope and the way the force changes is a bit more obvious.

Related to Magnetism: Explaining the Attraction to a 7-Year-Old

1. What is magnetism?

Magnetism is a force that pulls objects together or pushes them apart. It is caused by the movement of electrons in certain materials, such as iron and nickel.

2. How does a magnet work?

A magnet has two ends, called poles, known as the north pole and the south pole. These poles have opposite charges, and when two magnets are brought together, the opposite poles attract each other while the same poles repel each other.

3. What makes some objects magnetic?

Some materials, such as iron, nickel, and cobalt, have magnetic properties because their atoms are arranged in a way that allows the electrons to move freely, creating a magnetic field.

4. Why do magnets attract objects?

Magnets attract objects because they have a magnetic field around them. This field pulls on other objects with opposite charges, causing them to stick together.

5. Can magnets lose their magnetism?

Yes, magnets can lose their magnetism over time. This can happen if they are exposed to high temperatures, strong magnetic fields, or are dropped or hit. However, magnets can also be re-magnetized by rubbing them against another magnet or using an electrical current.