Is There a Dark Side to Studying Statistical Mechanics?

• Thread starter DaveE
  • Start date
DaveE
Science Advisor
Gold Member
1694727152734.png

• Haha
  • Wow
Likes hutchphd, DennisN, erobz and 4 others
Physics news on Phys.org
This is from David Goodstein's States of Matter, which is highly regarded - and not just for the introduction.

You can add Paul Drude to the list of practitioners of statistical mechanics who committed suicide.

• Wow
Likes hutchphd, dextercioby, DaveE and 1 other person
Vanadium 50 said:
This is from David Goodstein's States of Matter, which is highly regarded - and not just for the introduction.

You can add Paul Drude to the list of practitioners of statistical mechanics who committed suicide.
Looks as if you shouldn't call it "Festkörperphysik" if you're doing it.

• Haha
Likes DennisN

Related to Is There a Dark Side to Studying Statistical Mechanics?

1. What does "Maybe it's a good thing I got out early, LOL." mean?

This phrase is often used sarcastically to express relief or amusement at avoiding a negative situation or outcome.

2. Who typically says "Maybe it's a good thing I got out early, LOL."?

This phrase is commonly used by someone who has left a situation or relationship that they believe would have had negative consequences if they had stayed longer.

3. Is "Maybe it's a good thing I got out early, LOL." always meant to be humorous?

No, it can also be used sincerely to express genuine relief or gratitude for avoiding a potentially negative situation.

4. What does "LOL" stand for in this phrase?

"LOL" is an acronym for "laugh out loud" and is often used in online communication to indicate something is funny or amusing.

5. Is there a specific situation this phrase is commonly used in?

This phrase can be used in a variety of situations, but it is often used in reference to relationships, jobs, or other situations where someone has made a decision to leave early and is now reflecting on it with humor or relief.