Maybe I posted in wrong forum: Fluid Mechanics help Chasing a deadlin

In summary: The pressure of the gas has to be less than the atmospheric pressure. Right.It is given that the level of the open side is 700 mm lower than that of the closed side.Now, use the formula,P1-P2 = rho*g*hP1 is the pressure at the closed side and P2 is the pressure at the open side.So, rho*g*h = (742/760)*rho*g*700.This gives rho*g*h = 6840.78947 Pa = 6.84 kPaBut this is not the gauge pressure of the gas.I am sorry. I misunderstood.You are right. The gauge pressure is -6.84 kPaBut the absolute pressure is
DylanW

Homework Statement

A tank consists of two chambers, one open to the atmosphere and another closed and filled with a gas. The two chambers are connected by a sluice opening. What is the pressure in the gas, in gauge and absolute terms if the barometric pressure = 742 mm Hg. Difference in height of the chambers is 700mm, with the level of the open side being 700 mm lower than the closed side. Thanks in advance :)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure, I feel like there isn't enough information at least for me to work it out without using a formula. I'm not looking for completed answers but nudges in the right direction. It's been two years since I've done any physics and I've thrown myself in the deep end. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Throw me a rope!

Is the answer 92.065 kPa absolute pressure and -6.86 kPa gauge pressure?

Please someone tell me if I'm right or wrong

Just became aware that I needed to attempt a solution. What I've got is:

deltaPressure (gauge) = Pressure - PressureAtomsphere = density x height x gravity

Therefore gauge pressure = -1,000 kg/m3 * 9.8m/s2 * 0.7m = -6,860 Pa
Absolute pressure = Atmospheric Pressure + Gauge pressure = 92,065 Pa Absolute Pressure

Hello Dylan - sorry but I'm not sure about this problem. Sorry too no one has responded. I think the problem may be the word "sluice", the meaning of which in this context being somewhat obscure, to me anyway.

Did you also post on the Engineering forum?

If you can't get any responses try to send a personal message to ChesterMiller. He has a lot of expertise in this area.

rudy d.

DylanW said:

Homework Statement

A tank consists of two chambers, one open to the atmosphere and another closed and filled with a gas. The two chambers are connected by a sluice opening. What is the pressure in the gas, in gauge and absolute terms if the barometric pressure = 742 mm Hg. Difference in height of the chambers is 700mm, with the level of the open side being 700 mm lower than the closed side. Thanks in advance :)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure, I feel like there isn't enough information at least for me to work it out without using a formula. I'm not looking for completed answers but nudges in the right direction. It's been two years since I've done any physics and I've thrown myself in the deep end. Thanks

Seems straight forward. It astounds me that no one replied to such simple question.

You are given difference in height. You are given barometric pressure, that is pressure of atmosphere.

So, as per my thinking,

Patm-Pgas = Difference in pressure

Thanks for the replies. The sluice in this case is like a U bend in a manometer, say you have two chambers the sluice is a part at the bottom of the chambers where the water can flow between the two chambers - much like a manometer. I ended up approaching the question the same way I'd approach pressures in a manometer, and submitted my assignment. Not 100% sure if I'm correct but the answers seem plausible so I'm hoping for the best

DylanW said:
Thanks for the replies. The sluice in this case is like a U bend in a manometer, say you have two chambers the sluice is a part at the bottom of the chambers where the water can flow between the two chambers - much like a manometer. I ended up approaching the question the same way I'd approach pressures in a manometer, and submitted my assignment. Not 100% sure if I'm correct but the answers seem plausible so I'm hoping for the best

You have followed the approach which I mentioned but shouldn't the atmospheric pressure be more than the pressure of the gas ?

If I'm interpreting the question correctly the atmospheric pressure is more than the pressure in the gas. The barometer reads 742 mm Hg which is 98,925 Pascals which is the air pressure of the side of the joined chambers that is open to the air. Then using the formula pressure = density*height*g I calculate the gauge pressure in the gas to be -6,860 Pascals and then add the gauge reading to the barometer reading to find the absolute pressure inside the chamber.

Although it just occurred to me that the reading of the Barometer is given in gauge pressure (is it? it wouldn't really make sense to me if it was but I've submitted it and have since been picking holes in all my work) so maybe I need to adjust my absolute gas pressure accordingly. I am guessing I will lose marks if this is the case. I'm not too sure on this. It seems logical that atmospheric pressure has to be absolute as there is no other reference to adjust it by, I've tried looking up Barometer's but it isn't 100% clear to me.

DylanW said:
If I'm interpreting the question correctly the atmospheric pressure is more than the pressure in the gas. The barometer reads 742 mm Hg which is 98,925 Pascals which is the air pressure of the side of the joined chambers that is open to the air. Then using the formula pressure = density*height*g I calculate the gauge pressure in the gas to be -6,860 Pascals and then add the gauge reading to the barometer reading to find the absolute pressure inside the chamber.

Although it just occurred to me that the reading of the Barometer is given in gauge pressure (is it? it wouldn't really make sense to me if it was but I've submitted it and have since been picking holes in all my work) so maybe I need to adjust my absolute gas pressure accordingly. I am guessing I will lose marks if this is the case. I'm not too sure on this. It seems logical that atmospheric pressure has to be absolute as there is no other reference to adjust it by, I've tried looking up Barometer's but it isn't 100% clear to me.

There is a sluice opening. Fine. And why did you approximate 0.742m to 0.7m in your work ? You should not do approximation unless you get the final answer. And also I think it is straight forward.

If the one end would not be opened then you could have expected the equilibrium to be established and applied Boyle's law accordingly.

Also what you did is same as what I did, except,

You did : Patm+Gauge Pressure

And you calculated Gauge pressure = -x say.

What I suggested was,

Patm-Gauge Pressure

And Gauge Pressure = x

Does not matter. I think its just as simple.

742 mm Hg is the barometer reading which equates to 98,925 Pascals, the height difference between the two sides is 700 mm. I did not approximate I see what you're saying, I think that our working is the same from looking at it so hopefully this question is in the bag. Thanks again I really appreciate you taking the time to assist me on both questions

Related to Maybe I posted in wrong forum: Fluid Mechanics help Chasing a deadlin

1. What is fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of fluids (liquids and gases) and their motion, as well as the effects of forces on them.

2. Can you explain the concept of fluid dynamics?

Fluid dynamics is a subfield of fluid mechanics that focuses on the study of fluids in motion. It involves the analysis of the forces and energy that act on fluids and how they affect the flow and behavior of the fluid.

3. How does fluid mechanics apply to real-world situations?

Fluid mechanics has numerous practical applications in our daily lives, such as in the design of aircrafts and cars, the study of weather patterns, and the development of medical devices like ventilators and blood pumps.

4. What is the Bernoulli's principle?

Bernoulli's principle states that as the speed of a fluid increases, its pressure decreases. This principle is often used to explain the lift force on an airplane wing and the flow of fluids through narrow pipes.

5. How can I use fluid mechanics to solve a problem?

To solve a problem using fluid mechanics, you need to first identify the variables involved (such as fluid type, speed, pressure, etc.), apply the appropriate equations and laws, and then analyze the results to find a solution. It is also important to consider the real-world constraints and assumptions that may affect the accuracy of your solution.