Maxwell relations Thermodynamics

In summary: Mmm statiscal thermo is a subject I will study next year, so if there's no other proof I suppose experimental proof is what I need.Thank you.
thonwer

Homework Statement

Show that: [itex] (\frac{∂T} {∂V})_S,_n=-(\frac {∂P} {∂S})_V,_n [/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex] dU=TdS-PdV+μdn [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex] \frac {∂} {∂S} (\frac{∂U} {∂V})_S,_n=-(\frac {∂P} {∂S})_V,_n [/itex]

[itex] \frac {∂} {∂V} (\frac{∂U} {∂S})_V,_n=(\frac{∂T} {∂V})_S,_n [/itex]

I tried to isolate T and P, but I get stuck:
[itex] TdS=dU+PdV [/itex]

[itex] -PdV=dU-TdS [/itex]

How can I demonstrate that they are equal?

Physics news on Phys.org
56b0cbc1364d99465ab99c356b72b756.png

3375c17ee49748749d0bbda7c686aaeb.png

d03b8dacd5d3667bd0eada2a8f3e4f69.png

d24d79423b8505bb6091bb80cb6f8fde.png

It looks like you already had it in your first two equations of Attempt at a Solution. You are aware that 2nd partial derivatives with respect to two variables are interchangeable (commutative), correct?

Chet

Yes I see that, but I ment to obtain [itex] −(\frac {∂P} {∂S})_V,_n [/itex] from [itex] (\frac {∂T} {∂V})_S,_n [/itex] or viceversa, demonstrating Schwartz relation in some way.

thonwer said:
Yes I see that, but I ment to obtain [itex] −(\frac {∂P} {∂S})_V,_n [/itex] from [itex] (\frac {∂T} {∂V})_S,_n [/itex] or viceversa.
Isn't that what your first two equations under Attempt demonstrate?

Chet

If I say they are equal, I am assuming that Schwartz relation is valid in this case, or that U is a continuos function. I want to demonstrate why Schwartz relation is valid.

thonwer said:
If I say they are equal, I am assuming that Schwartz relation is valid in this case, or that U is a continuos function. I want to demonstrate why Schwartz relation is valid.
What's wrong with assuming that U is a continuous function for a single-component single-phase material?

Chet

Nothing, but in an exam I would have to reason why I assume that U is continuous, so if I could go from [itex] -\left( {\frac{\partial P} {\partial S}}\right)_{V,n} [/itex] to [itex] \left( {\frac{\partial T} {\partial V}}\right)_{S,n} [/itex] by using derivatives and their properties, the problem would be solved I think.

Why would you think it's not continuous?

Chet

I think it's continuous, I know from theory, but it's not a given in the problem, so if i use it, I have to say why. As I don't know how to justify that U is continuous, I think that, if I can demonstrate that Schwartz relation is valid, then, I can avoid justifying its continuity.

thonwer said:
I think it's continuous, I know from theory, but it's not a given in the problem, so if i use it, I have to say why. As I don't know how to justify that U is continuous, I think that, if I can demonstrate that Schwartz relation is valid, then, I can avoid justifying its continuity.
I don't know what to say. Are you a mathematician or a physicist? If the latter, why would you think that internal energy is not a continuous function of entropy and volume?

Chet

I'm studying Physics, and I know it is a continuous function of entropy and volume, but one thing is knowing and another is proving. I need to prove this knowledge.

thonwer said:
I'm studying Physics, and I know it is a continuous function of entropy and volume, but one thing is knowing and another is proving. I need to prove this knowledge.
It's observed experimentally. Does that count as proof? Otherwise you need to start looking into statistical thermo.

Chet

Mmm statiscal thermo is a subject I will study next year, so if there's no other proof I suppose experimental proof is what I need.Thank you.

Related to Maxwell relations Thermodynamics

1. What are Maxwell relations in thermodynamics?

Maxwell relations are a set of equations that relate different thermodynamic properties of a system, such as temperature, pressure, volume, and entropy. They are derived from the fundamental laws of thermodynamics and help in understanding the relationships between these properties.

2. How are Maxwell relations derived?

Maxwell relations are derived from the mathematical relationships between the partial derivatives of thermodynamic properties. They are based on the fact that the order in which partial derivatives are taken does not affect the final result.

3. What is the significance of Maxwell relations?

Maxwell relations are important in understanding the behavior of thermodynamic systems and in solving problems related to them. They provide a way to calculate one thermodynamic property from the given values of other properties, which simplifies the analysis of complex systems.

4. Can Maxwell relations be applied to all thermodynamic systems?

Yes, Maxwell relations can be applied to all thermodynamic systems, whether they are ideal or non-ideal. However, they are most commonly used in the analysis of ideal gas systems.

5. How do Maxwell relations relate to the laws of thermodynamics?

Maxwell relations are derived from the fundamental laws of thermodynamics, specifically the first and second laws. They provide a mathematical framework for understanding the relationships between different thermodynamic properties, which are governed by these laws.