Maxwell equations from tensor notation to component notation

In summary, the equations ##\partial_{[\mu}F_{\nu\lambda]}=0## and ##\partial_{i}B^{i}=0## are equivalent to ##\partial_{\mu}F_{\nu\lambda}+\partial_{\nu}F_{\lambda\mu}+\partial_{\lambda}F_{\mu\nu}=0##, and all of these are also equivalent to ##\tilde{\epsilon}^{ijk}\partial_{j}E_{k}+\partial_{0}B^{i}=0##.
spaghetti3451

Homework Statement

Verify that ##\partial_{\mu}F_{\nu\lambda}+\partial_{\nu}F_{\lambda\mu}+\partial_{\lambda}F_{\mu\nu}## is equivalent to ##\partial_{[\mu}F_{\nu\lambda]}=0##,

and that they are both equivalent to ##\tilde{\epsilon}^{ijk}\partial_{j}E_{k}+\partial_{0}B^{i}=0## and ##\partial_{i}B^{i}=0##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

##\partial_{[\mu}F_{\nu\lambda]}=0##

##\implies \frac{1}{3!}(\partial_{\mu}F_{\nu\lambda}-\partial_{\mu}F_{\lambda\nu}-\partial_{\nu}F_{\mu\lambda}+\partial_{\nu}F_{\lambda\mu}-\partial_{\lambda}F_{\nu\mu}+\partial_{\lambda}F_{\mu\nu})=0##, using the definition of antisymmetrization of a tensor

##\implies \partial_{\mu}F_{\nu\lambda}-\partial_{\mu}F_{\lambda\nu}-\partial_{\nu}F_{\mu\lambda}+\partial_{\nu}F_{\lambda\mu}-\partial_{\lambda}F_{\nu\mu}+\partial_{\lambda}F_{\mu\nu}=0##

##\implies \partial_{\mu}F_{\nu\lambda}+\partial_{\mu}F_{\nu\lambda}+\partial_{\nu}F_{\lambda\mu}+\partial_{\nu}F_{\lambda\mu}+\partial_{\lambda}F_{\mu\nu}+\partial_{\lambda}F_{\mu\nu}=0##

##\implies 2(\partial_{\mu}F_{\nu\lambda}+\partial_{\nu}F_{\lambda\mu}+\partial_{\lambda}F_{\mu\nu})=0##

##\implies \partial_{\mu}F_{\nu\lambda}+\partial_{\nu}F_{\lambda\mu}+\partial_{\lambda}F_{\mu\nu}=0##

Is my working so far correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, I believe so.

Related to Maxwell equations from tensor notation to component notation

1. What is tensor notation?

Tensor notation is a mathematical notation used to represent physical quantities that have both magnitude and direction. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to describe quantities such as force, velocity, and electric and magnetic fields.

2. How are Maxwell's equations represented in tensor notation?

Maxwell's equations, which describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields, can be written in a compact form using tensor notation. In this notation, the equations are expressed using tensors, which are mathematical objects that represent vectors and higher-dimensional quantities.

3. What is component notation?

Component notation is a more traditional way of writing mathematical equations, where each term is explicitly written out in its component form. For example, a vector in component notation would be written as (x, y, z), whereas in tensor notation it would be written as x_i, where i represents the dimension.

4. How do you convert Maxwell's equations from tensor notation to component notation?

To convert Maxwell's equations from tensor notation to component notation, you can use index notation. This involves replacing the tensor notation with its equivalent component form using Einstein's summation convention, where repeated indices are summed over.

5. Why is tensor notation preferred over component notation for Maxwell's equations?

Tensor notation is preferred over component notation for Maxwell's equations because it is more compact and easier to manipulate mathematically. It also allows for a more elegant representation of the equations, making it easier to see the underlying symmetry and relationships between different quantities.