Maximum/minimum through logarithm

• Thread starter Bipolarity
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logarithm
In summary: So that function has a minimum at x= 4. On the other hand, if x> 4, then x- 4> 0 so we can write (x- 4)^2= (|x- 4|)^2= |x- 4|^2. That function has a minimum at x= 4 also and, for x> 4, has the same minimum value as x^2.You are right that the "logarithm" function is "monotonic" but only for positive x. Since x= 4 is a minimum for x^2, writing x^2= (x- 4)^2 and taking "logarithms" we
Bipolarity
Hi I seem to have run into a strange problem.
Suppose one wishes to maximize/minimize the function ## f(x) = (x-4)^{2} ##. Clearly, this function has a minimum at x = 4. One could find the extremum by taking the derivative and setting to zero.

One could also compute the logarithm of this function, i.e. ## ln (x-4)^{2} = 2 \ ln(x-4) ##, and then find the corresponding extremum of the resulting function, and since ## ln(x )## is monotonic over the region on which it is defined, the maximum/minimum of ##f(x)## and the maximum/minimum of ## f(ln(x))## should coincide.

This however is not the case, since ## 2 \ ln(x-4) ## seems not to have a maximum or a minimum. What am I missing here?

Thanks.

BiP

Physics news on Phys.org
I hope I understand your point ...

Actually the two function would have the same critical point
see:
$$y=(x-4)^2$$
$$y'=2(x-4)$$
when you equate by zero your critical point is 4.

Also
$$lny=2ln(x-4)$$
$$\frac{y'}{y}=\frac{2}{x-4}$$
$$y'=y\times\frac{2}{x-4}$$
$$y'=(x-4)^2\times\frac{2}{x-4}$$
$$y'=2(x-4)$$
Again your critical point is 4.

is that what you mean?

Am I right ..
:)

Bipolarity said:
Hi I seem to have run into a strange problem.
Suppose one wishes to maximize/minimize the function ## f(x) = (x-4)^{2} ##. Clearly, this function has a minimum at x = 4. One could find the extremum by taking the derivative and setting to zero.

One could also compute the logarithm of this function, i.e. ## ln (x-4)^{2} = 2 \ ln(x-4) ##, and then find the corresponding extremum of the resulting function, and since ## ln(x )## is monotonic over the region on which it is defined, the maximum/minimum of ##f(x)## and the maximum/minimum of ## f(ln(x))## should coincide.

This however is not the case, since ## 2 \ ln(x-4) ## seems not to have a maximum or a minimum. What am I missing here?

Thanks.

BiP

Your problem is that [itex]\ln x[/itex] is not defined for [itex]x \leq 0[/itex]. Thus the critical point of [itex](x - 4)^2[/itex] is not in the domain of [itex]\ln(x - 4)[/itex].

Bipolarity said:
## ln (x-4)^{2} = 2 \ ln(x-4) ##

Also:

## ln (x-4)^{2} = 2 \ ln|x-4| \ \ (x \ne 4)##

Personally, I wouldn't use "logarithms" or "derivatives". A [tex]x^2[/tex] is never negative and is 0 only for x= 0, so that [tex](x- 4)^2[/tex] is never negative and is 0 only for [tex]x- 4= 0[/tex] or [tex]x= 4[/tex].

Related to Maximum/minimum through logarithm

What is a logarithm?

A logarithm is the inverse operation of exponentiation. It is used to solve exponential equations and represents the power to which a base number must be raised to equal a given number.

How is a logarithm used to find maximum/minimum values?

A logarithm can be used to find the maximum or minimum value of a function by taking the derivative of the logarithmic function and setting it equal to zero. This will give the x-value that corresponds to the maximum or minimum value of the original function.

What is the relationship between logarithms and exponential functions?

Logarithms and exponential functions are inverses of each other. This means that a logarithmic function can be written as an exponential function, and vice versa. For example, logb(x) = y is equivalent to by = x.

Can logarithms be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, logarithms are used in a variety of real-world applications, such as calculating earthquake magnitudes, measuring sound levels, and predicting population growth. They are also commonly used in finance, chemistry, and physics.

What is the difference between natural logarithms and common logarithms?

Natural logarithms use the base e, where e is approximately 2.71828. Common logarithms use the base 10. While both types of logarithms are used in various applications, natural logarithms are often preferred in calculus and mathematical analysis.