Maximum Mass You Could Boil with 1000 J of Heat (Thermodynamics)

In summary: Just a nit pick: a temperature difference of 1 degree centigrade is the same temperature difference of 1 degree Kelvin. (You don't need to convert Celsius temps. to Kelvin temps. if you are interested only in temperature differences.)Borek, you were right (and your English is just fine! :) ). Here is how you get the right answer:L vaporization ethyl = 8.79 x 10^5 J/kgQtotal = Q1 + Q2 = (Energy to heat mass up to boiling point) + (Energy used to boil all of mass)1000 J = mcΔT + mLv1000 J = m(cΔT
adamwest

Homework Statement

What is the maximum mass of ethyl alcohol you could boil with 1000J of heat, starting from 18∘C?

Homework Equations

Q=mcΔT

c ethyl alcohol = 2400 J/(kg*K)
T boil ethyl alcohol = 78 C = 351 K
T starting = 18 C = 291 K

The Attempt at a Solution

m=Q/(c*ΔT)

m= (2400 J)/[(2400 J/kg*K)(351 K -291 K)] = .00694 kg (or 6.94E-3 kg)

It tells me this is wrong. I am probably overlooking something quite obvious. Thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
So far you calculates mass than can be heated to the boiling point. It has not even started to boil, not to mention boiling away.

Likes 1 person
Borek said:
So far you calculates mass than can be heated to the boiling point. It has not even started to boil, not to mention boiling away.
Well, the OP doesn't say 'boil away'. When I boil water, I bring it to the boil - I don't keep boiling until there's none left. Maybe it's not been quoted correctly.

My first idea was it means "boil away", as opposed to "bring to boil". But after your comment I see the wording as ambiguous.

Can be my English fails me and I am completely off.

Just a nit pick: a temperature difference of 1 degree centigrade is the same temperature difference of 1 degree Kelvin. (You don't need to convert Celsius temps. to Kelvin temps. if you are interested only in temperature differences.)

Likes 1 person
Borek, you were right (and your English is just fine! :) ). Here is how you get the right answer:

L vaporization ethyl = 8.79 x 10^5 J/kg

Qtotal = Q1 + Q2 = (Energy to heat mass up to boiling point) + (Energy used to boil all of mass)

1000 J = mcΔT + mLv

1000 J = m(cΔT + Lv)

m = 1000 J/(cΔT + Lv)

m = 1000 J/[(2400 J/kg*K)(351 K - 291 K) + 8.79 x 10^5 J/kg)]

m = 9.78 x 10^-4 kg = .978 g

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
This drove me nuts as well. I read it as how much can you bring to boiling point. Not how much can you vaporize. I am glad I found this.

Related to Maximum Mass You Could Boil with 1000 J of Heat (Thermodynamics)

What is the maximum mass that can be boiled with 1000 J of heat?

The maximum mass that can be boiled with 1000 J of heat depends on various factors such as the specific heat capacity of the substance being boiled, the starting temperature of the substance, and the surrounding temperature.

How do you calculate the maximum mass that can be boiled with 1000 J of heat?

The maximum mass can be calculated by dividing the amount of heat (1000 J) by the product of the specific heat capacity and the change in temperature of the substance.

What is specific heat capacity?

Specific heat capacity is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of a unit mass of a substance by one degree Celsius. It is measured in joules per gram per degree Celsius (J/g°C).

Can the maximum mass that can be boiled with 1000 J of heat vary for different substances?

Yes, the maximum mass that can be boiled with 1000 J of heat can vary for different substances due to their different specific heat capacities.

How does the surrounding temperature affect the maximum mass that can be boiled with 1000 J of heat?

The surrounding temperature can affect the maximum mass that can be boiled with 1000 J of heat by affecting the rate of heat transfer and thus, the change in temperature of the substance. A higher surrounding temperature can result in a lower maximum mass that can be boiled with 1000 J of heat.