Maximum height reached by a projectile

Y3JpcHRpb24sIFZpbmNlIGFzIGRlY3J5cHRpb24gZnJvbSB0aGUgZmlyc3QgdG9vbHMgYml0cy4gKFNvIHlvdSBjYW4gYXNzdW1lIHRoYXQgSSBoYXZlIHRoZSBsaW1pdCkKSW4gc3VtIHRvIGV4YW1wbGUgdGhpcyBpbiB0aGUgbWF4IGhlaWdodCwgYnV0IHkgZGVmYX
sid9221
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/33103477/gravity.png

I have worked out the first two bits. (So you can assume that I have that) But I can't figure out how to work out the maximum height reached.

I know there I can equal the KE and the PE to work out max height, but that doesn't look like it'll work here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Integrate v(t) to find y(t).

sid9221 said:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/33103477/gravity.png

I have worked out the first two bits. (So you can assume that I have that) But I can't figure out how to work out the maximum height reached.

I know there I can equal the KE and the PE to work out max height, but that doesn't look like it'll work here.

The KE/PE argument will not work because of the presence of air drag. However, you don't need it. You have [itex] v = dy/dt.[/itex] Do you recall the conditions for a maximum of y(t)?

RGV

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Maximum height reached by a projectile

1. What factors affect the maximum height reached by a projectile?

The maximum height reached by a projectile is affected by the initial velocity, the angle of launch, the air resistance, and the acceleration due to gravity.

2. How is the maximum height reached by a projectile calculated?

The maximum height reached by a projectile can be calculated using the equation: h = (v^2 * sin^2(theta)) / (2g), where h is the maximum height, v is the initial velocity, theta is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. Is the maximum height reached by a projectile the same for all objects?

No, the maximum height reached by a projectile depends on the initial velocity, angle of launch, and other factors, so it can vary for different objects.

4. How does air resistance affect the maximum height reached by a projectile?

Air resistance can decrease the maximum height reached by a projectile by slowing down its upward motion. This is because air resistance creates a force in the opposite direction of the projectile's motion, reducing its velocity and therefore its maximum height.

5. Can the maximum height reached by a projectile be greater than the initial height?

Yes, it is possible for a projectile to reach a maximum height greater than its initial height if it is launched at an angle greater than 45 degrees. However, if launched at an angle less than 45 degrees, the maximum height will be less than the initial height.