Maximum frictional force experienced and the acceleration

In summary, a person attempts to slide a box of mass 35 kg from rest using only 120 N of force. The maximum frictional force experienced is 123.48 N.
gerard.caleb

Homework Statement

2. A block of mass 35 kg is on a flat floor with a static friction coefficient of 0.36 and a kinetic friction coefficient of 0.29. A person attempts to slide the box from rest in a forward direction. Find the maximum frictional force experienced and the acceleration of the box once it is moving if:
a) the person pushes horizontally with 120 N.

m=35kg
μs=0.36
μk=0.29

Homework Equations

Fnet=m*a
Fnorm=g*m
μk=Fnet/Fnorm

The Attempt at a Solution

*Disclaimer: I'm taking an online class with very few sample questions so I will not be held liable for any injuries that occur due to facepalming at my attempts to solve these*
Fn=m*g
Fn=35kg*9.8kg/N
Fn= 343N

F=Fn*μs
F=343N*0.36
F=123.48N

So 123.48N is the maximum friction force experienced?
And the acceleration can be found from:

We know uK=0.29
And uK=Fnet/Fnorm

So 0.29=Fnet/343N
0.29*343N=Fnet
99.47N=Fnet

We know Fnet=m*a, so:
99.47N=35kg*a
a=2.842m/s^2

So acceleration is 2.842m/s^2?

I am 20000% percent sure that I have these wrong because I didn't include the applied force given in the question at all (among other reasons).
I have a few other questions similar to this but involving angles and different applied forces, I'm sure once I understand how to do this one I can do the others, but I thought the most basic one would be a good starting place for someone here to point out my errors.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
You've done a good attempt. But it is not a totally correct answer. You are correct that 123 N is the max static frictional force experienced. And you have calculated the correct force due to kinetic friction. But this is not the net force, since there is also the applied force (as you said).

Unless I've made a mistake I believe you need to have a rethink. Try these questions in order..

What's the force required to overcome static friction and start it moving?
How much force does the man actually apply?
Bearing in mind Newtons third law...what's the maximium frictional force?

BruceW said:
You are correct that 123 N is the max static frictional force experienced.

I dissagree :-)

CWatters said:
Unless I've made a mistake I believe you need to have a rethink. Try these questions in order..

What's the force required to overcome static friction and start it moving?
How much force does the man actually apply?
Bearing in mind Newtons third law...what's the maximium frictional force?

Thank you so much for your response! I'm sorry for the late reply. Thank you to the other person who responded as well, I'd respond individually but I'm not sure if that's proper conduct on this board.

Ffr = μs*Fn
Ffr = 343N * 0.36
Ffr= 123.48N

As he only applied 120N, he doesn't overcome this and therefore the block doesn't move (wow, I really wish I thought this out before I wrote all that!)

I'm still a little confused about maximum frictional force though, I've been reading and a few things have said the same thing as this: http://www.sfu.ca/~boal/101lecs/101lec6.pdf
"The maximum force of static friction, Fmax, is Fmax= µs*N,where µs is the coefficient of static friction." I'm confused what the difference between maximum friction force and maximum force of static friction is.

Thanks for your replies!

CWatters said:
I dissagree :-)
Oh yeah, duh! Thanks, CWatters. I was misled by the question using the word 'maximum', and I guess gerard was too. So, the question says: "Find the maximum frictional force experienced" But what they mean is find the actual frictional force experienced. I hope this helps, gerard.

Yes what Bruce said, it's the difference between...

1) The maximum frictional force that will occur if enough force is applied to move the box and
2) The actual maximum frictional force in this particular set up.

We've worked out that the box doesn't move so draw a free body diagram and then ask... What do the forces sum to if the box doesn't move. The hint I gave earlier was to remember Newtons third law.

Related to Maximum frictional force experienced and the acceleration

1. What is the maximum frictional force experienced by an object?

The maximum frictional force experienced by an object is the force that opposes the motion of the object. It occurs when the object is on the verge of moving or is in motion. The value of maximum frictional force depends on the coefficient of friction and the normal force acting on the object.

2. How is the maximum frictional force calculated?

The maximum frictional force can be calculated using the equation Ffmax = μN, where Ffmax is the maximum frictional force, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force. The coefficient of friction is a constant value that depends on the surfaces in contact, while the normal force is the force perpendicular to the surface.

3. Does maximum frictional force affect the acceleration of an object?

Yes, maximum frictional force affects the acceleration of an object. When an object is on the verge of moving, the maximum frictional force is equal in magnitude to the applied force, and the acceleration is zero. As the applied force increases, the maximum frictional force also increases and eventually reaches a point where it is equal in magnitude to the applied force, resulting in zero acceleration.

4. How does the coefficient of friction affect the maximum frictional force?

The coefficient of friction is directly proportional to the maximum frictional force. This means that as the coefficient of friction increases, the maximum frictional force also increases, and vice versa. Therefore, surfaces with a higher coefficient of friction will experience a higher maximum frictional force.

5. Can the maximum frictional force be greater than the applied force?

No, the maximum frictional force can never be greater than the applied force. If the applied force is greater than the maximum frictional force, the object will start to move, and the frictional force will decrease to match the applied force. This is because maximum frictional force is the maximum amount of force that can be applied to an object before it starts to move.