Determine the frictional force

In summary, the problem is ambiguous and poorly posed. It asks for the friction force required to stop a 2.5 kg rubber ball that is rolling across a dry concrete floor with an acceleration of 4.0 m/s^2 [E]. However, it does not specify the type of friction or the circumstances of the ball's acceleration. It is possible that the question is asking for the static friction force required to prevent the ball from slipping, in which case the coefficient of friction would be needed to find the minimum force.
joelm

Homework Statement

If a 2.5 kg rubber ball is rolled across the dry concrete with an acceleration of 4.0 m/s^2[E]. Determine the friction force required to stop the ball.

Homework Equations

[/B]
Coefficient of kinetic force between rubber and dry concrete is 1.0, Fnet = (m)(a) Ff= (u)(Fn)

The Attempt at a Solution

Likes CWatters
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi joelm.

Please note that the rules require that you show an attempt at solution before help can be offered. What have you tried?

Is the problem statement word-for-word as it was given to you? Is the ball really speeding up (the acceleration you stated is positive)?

gneill said:
Hi joelm.

Please note that the rules require that you show an attempt at solution before help can be offered. What have you tried?

Is the problem statement word-for-word as it was given to you? Is the ball really speeding up (the acceleration you stated is positive)?
it doesn't say if the speed is consistent or speeding up. I'm confused when they add the acceleration to the question. so I'm assuming you find the net force (2.5 kg)(4.0 m/s^2[E], first I'm not sure if that's where to start and if that's correct what would the next step be?

As stated, the problem is rather ambiguous. The ball is said to be rolling, so I don't see how kinetic friction would apply or why its coefficient would be given. They don't say why it is accelerating. They don't say if the concrete surface is horizontal or not. They don't say how the ball should come to a stop, whether in some particular timeframe or over a particular distance. So I can't offer any suggestions other than that you find the force as you've done.

gneill said:
As stated, the problem is rather ambiguous. The ball is said to be rolling, so I don't see how kinetic friction would apply or why its coefficient would be given. They don't say why it is accelerating. They don't say if the concrete surface is horizontal or not. They don't say how the ball should come to a stop, whether in some particular timeframe or over a particular distance. So I can't offer any suggestions other than that you find the force as you've done.
Yea I'm really confused as well. Would Fnet (Net force) = Normal force? They give you the formula Ff= (u)(Fn) u= coefficient Fn= normal force

Net force is not normal force. They gave you an equation for the normal force, from which friction force is derived. But as I said, since the ball is rolling (presumably without slipping), kinetic friction doesn't apply. The only other type of friction that might apply is rolling friction, but they didn't give you a formula or coefficient for that.

All you can do with what's given is find the net force that results in the stated acceleration.

I think what gneill is saying is that you may have mangled the question in your post. It doesn't seem to make much sense. Could you try posting the question again being careful to state it exactly as given?

Cutter Ketch said:
I think what gneill is saying is that you may have mangled the question in your post. It doesn't seem to make much sense. Could you try posting the question again being careful to state it exactly as given?
Yes for sure. This is exactly as worded.
If a 2.5 kg rubber ball is rolled across the dry concrete floor with an acceleration of 4.0 m/s^2 [E]. Determine the friction force required to stop the ball. ( Drawing a free body diagram will help illustrate the situation).

I agree with the others - the question is ambiguous.

Friction between what and what? Do they mean friction or rolling resistance? There is a difference.

Is it accelerating because of an applied force or because it's rolling down a slope?

joelm said:
Yes for sure. This is exactly as worded.
If a 2.5 kg rubber ball is rolled across the dry concrete floor with an acceleration of 4.0 m/s^2 [E]. Determine the friction force required to stop the ball. ( Drawing a free body diagram will help illustrate the situation).

Well, perhaps it isn't you. At best that question is poorly posed. Anything we suggest here would involve making up an understandable problem that vaguely resembles this. Unfortunately that is not likely to be helpful. I would ask your teacher to clarify.

Perhaps there was an editing problem in the original text of the problem (is it from a textbook?). If the final sentence was truncated in error and was meant to read:

"Determine the friction force required to stop the ball from slipping."

then you might have a viable question if the coefficient of friction given was for static friction rather than kinetic friction.

Likes Cutter Ketch
gneill said:
Perhaps there was an editing problem in the original text of the problem (is it from a textbook?). If the final sentence was truncated in error and was meant to read:

then you might have a viable question if the coefficient of friction given was for static friction rather than kinetic friction.

Oh wow! Two words make all the difference! I couldn't think what this problem might mean, but I think you must have nailed it.

gneill said:

Yes, that does sound like the right reading, but I still see a difficulty. To find the friction force we do not need the coefficient of friction. We can find the force from the other information, then find the minimum coefficient.

haruspex said:
Yes, that does sound like the right reading, but I still see a difficulty. To find the friction force we do not need the coefficient of friction. We can find the force from the other information, then find the minimum coefficient.
True! I suspect that the kinetic friction coefficient that was listed may have been a value looked up in a reference and provided as a potentially relevant value. Perhaps @joelm can confirm/deny this if he returns to the thread.

Related to Determine the frictional force

1. What is frictional force?

Frictional force is a force that opposes motion between two surfaces that are in contact with each other. It is caused by irregularities in the surfaces and the interlocking of microscopic bumps and ridges.

2. How is frictional force calculated?

Frictional force can be calculated by multiplying the coefficient of friction (a property of the two surfaces in contact) by the normal force (the force perpendicular to the surface).

3. What factors affect frictional force?

The two main factors that affect frictional force are the types of surfaces in contact and the applied normal force. Other factors that can impact frictional force include temperature, speed, and the presence of lubricants.

4. Why is frictional force important to study?

Frictional force plays a crucial role in many practical applications, such as transportation, machinery, and sports. Understanding frictional force can help improve efficiency, prevent accidents, and design better products.

5. How can frictional force be reduced?

Frictional force can be reduced by using lubricants, polishing surfaces, or using materials with lower coefficients of friction. Additionally, reducing the normal force or minimizing the surface area in contact can also decrease frictional force.