Maximum Friction Force on a Ladder: Calculations and Results

In summary: Just make sure to use the correct values for (theta) and to double check your trig ratios. Hope this helps!
MAPgirl23
A uniform ladder 5.0 m long rests against a frictionless, vertical wall with its lower end 3.0 m from the wall. The ladder weighs 160 N. The coefficient of static friction between the foot of the ladder and the ground is 0.40. A man weighing 740 N climbs slowly up the ladder.

a) What is the maximum frictional force that the ground can exert on the ladder at its lower end?
**This is what I did: (160N + 740N) x 0.4 = 360 N

b) What is the actual frictional force when the man has climbed 1.0 m along the ladder?
**For x = 1.0 m: {(160)(1.0) + (740)(1)(1/2.5)}/ (5)(2/2.5) = ? NB

c) How far along the ladder can the man climb before the ladder starts to slip?
**(160)(2.5)(1.5/5) + (740)(1.5/2.5) x_max = 360 and solve for x_max

Can you please check my work?

Physics news on Phys.org
MAPgirl23 said:
A uniform ladder 5.0 m long rests against a frictionless, vertical wall with its lower end 3.0 m from the wall. The ladder weighs 160 N. The coefficient of static friction between the foot of the ladder and the ground is 0.40. A man weighing 740 N climbs slowly up the ladder.

a) What is the maximum frictional force that the ground can exert on the ladder at its lower end?
**This is what I did: (160N + 740N) x 0.4 = 360 N

b) What is the actual frictional force when the man has climbed 1.0 m along the ladder?
**For x = 1.0 m: {(160)(1.0) + (740)(1)(1/2.5)}/ (5)(2/2.5) = ? NB

c) How far along the ladder can the man climb before the ladder starts to slip?
**(160)(2.5)(1.5/5) + (740)(1.5/2.5) x_max = 360 and solve for x_max

Can you please check my work?
Part a) looks OK. I'm having trouble deciphering the other parts, but I'm not seeing some things I expect to see. What principle is involved in writing the equation for those parts? Please either give an answer to the questions based on what you have posted, or rewrite it in terms of identifiable parts, like forces and moments (torques). Including units would be helpful.

net torque = 0

W_L = weight of ladder; W_m = weight of man; L = length of ladder;
x = distance the man has climbed up the ladder from the base;

W_L(L/2) cos(theta) + W_m x cos(theta) - fs * L sin(theta) = 0
fs = {(160 N)(5 m/2)(1.0 m/2 m) + (740 N)(1.0 m)(1.0 m/2.0 m)}/ (5 m)(2 m/2.5 m)

Please help

MAPgirl23 said:
net torque = 0

W_L = weight of ladder; W_m = weight of man; L = length of ladder;
x = distance the man has climbed up the ladder from the base;

W_L(L/2) cos(theta) + W_m x cos(theta) - fs * L sin(theta) = 0
fs = {(160 N)(5 m/2)(1.0 m/2 m) + (740 N)(1.0 m)(1.0 m/2.0 m)}/ (5 m)(2 m/2.5 m)

Please help

Your starting equation looks good. I assume (theta) is the angle between the ladder and the floor at the base. Your trig ratios are not correct. The ladder is 5m long and is 3m from the wall at the base. This makes a 3-4-5 right triangle. The cosine should be 3/5 and the sine should be 4/5. Other than that, it looks OK

Last edited:

Related to Maximum Friction Force on a Ladder: Calculations and Results

1. What is maximum friction force on a ladder?

The maximum friction force on a ladder is the maximum amount of force that can be applied to the ladder before it begins to slip or slide. It is an important factor to consider when using a ladder for safety and stability.

2. How is maximum friction force on a ladder calculated?

The maximum friction force on a ladder can be calculated by using the formula F = μN, where F is the maximum friction force, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force exerted by the ladder on the surface it is resting on.

3. What factors affect the maximum friction force on a ladder?

The maximum friction force on a ladder can be affected by several factors, including the type of surface the ladder is resting on, the condition of the ladder's feet, and the angle at which the ladder is placed.

4. Why is it important to consider the maximum friction force when using a ladder?

Considering the maximum friction force is important because it can help prevent the ladder from slipping or sliding, which can lead to accidents and injuries. It also ensures the stability and safety of the person using the ladder.

5. How can the maximum friction force on a ladder be increased?

The maximum friction force on a ladder can be increased by using a ladder with rubber or anti-slip feet, ensuring the ladder is placed at an appropriate angle, and keeping the surface the ladder is resting on clean and dry. Additionally, increasing the weight or normal force on the ladder can also increase the maximum friction force.