Maximum angle which a field line starting from Q will end at infinity

In summary, the electric field lines that terminate on the negative charge in a system of point charges get very close to the charge. If the sphere is VERY tiny, then all the field lines go straight out and terminate on the negative charge.
Wxfsa

Homework Statement

http://i.imgur.com/haX3OW8.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I guess a) is 1/3 (probably wrong, because I assumed all the field lines that end at -q originates at +3q which is not necessarily true) but I can't figure out b)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, Wxfsa. Welcome to PF!

Wxfsa said:
I guess a) is 1/3 (probably wrong, because I assumed all the field lines that end at -q originates at +3q which is not necessarily true)

That sounds pretty good to me. Recall that for an electric dipole (where the positive and negative charges have equal magnitude), then every field line that ends on the negative charge starts on the positive charge. (You can forget about the one pesky line that comes into the negative charge from infinity.) In your case, the positive charge has "extra" charge and the field lines that go to infinity must originate on the positive charge.

but I can't figure out b)

Consider a very tiny sphere centered on the positive charge. Can you visualize the electric field lines piercing through the surface of that sphere? How are the lines distributed over the surface?

TSny said:
Can you visualize the electric field lines piercing through the surface of that sphere?

I can't, unfortunately.

You know that the electric field of a point charges varies with distance as 1/r2. So, when you get very close to a point charge, the field of the point charge becomes very large.

If you have a system of point charges and you get very close to one of the charges, then the field of that point charge will be much larger than the field of any other point charge in the system. So, to a very good approximation, the field very near the point charge will be the same as that of the point charge alone.

Attachments

• Field 2 pt charges 2.jpg
    Field 2 pt charges 2.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 426
Wxfsa said:
I can't, unfortunately.

If the sphere is VERY tiny like TSny said, they pretty much all go straight out. What fraction of them terminate on the negative charge? Look at the picture in problem hint again.

As far as my visualization abilities go, I would say theta is somewhere around 110-120 but I have no idea how I can actually calculate it.

EDIT: I think I got it arccos(-1/3)=109.5 Thank you for your help.

Last edited:

Related to Maximum angle which a field line starting from Q will end at infinity

1. What is the maximum angle at which a field line starting from point Q will end at infinity?

The maximum angle at which a field line starting from point Q will end at infinity is 90 degrees. This is because the field line will continue to curve and eventually become parallel to the surface at infinity.

2. How is the maximum angle of a field line affected by the strength of the electric field at point Q?

The maximum angle of a field line is not affected by the strength of the electric field at point Q. It is solely determined by the curvature of the field lines and the surface they originate from.

3. Can the maximum angle of a field line ever be greater than 90 degrees?

No, the maximum angle of a field line can never be greater than 90 degrees. This is because the field lines always curve towards the surface and become parallel to it at infinity.

4. How does the distance between point Q and the surface affect the maximum angle of a field line?

The distance between point Q and the surface does not affect the maximum angle of a field line. However, it does affect the strength of the electric field and the spacing between the field lines.

5. Is the maximum angle of a field line the same for all points on the surface?

No, the maximum angle of a field line can vary for different points on the surface. It is dependent on the curvature of the field lines at that specific point.