Maximum and minimum of f(x,y) within a confined domain

In summary: But, regarding this problem, the maximum and minimum are (respectively) at the boundaries of K, which are the semicircle and the base of the semicircle.In summary, The maximum and minimum of the function f(x,y)=2x^3-2y^3-3x^2 within the set K={(x,y)\inℝ2:x^2+y^2≤5,y≤0} are located at the boundaries of K, which are the semicircle and the base of the semicircle. The maximum is at (√5,0) and the minimum is at (-√5,0).
Mathoholic!

Homework Statement

f(x,y)=2x3-2y3-3x2

K={(x,y)[itex]\in[/itex]ℝ2:x2+y2≤5,y≤0}

Find the maximum and minum of f(x,y) within K.

Homework Equations

∇f(x,y)=(6x2-6x,-6y)

Hess(f)=diag(12x-6,-6) (relevant?)

The Attempt at a Solution

What I've done so far was calculate the pair(s) (x,y) that make ∇f(x,y)=(0,0).
It gave me: (0,0) and (1,0).
Now, both these points belong to K (a semicircle), thus, I would assume them to be good candidates but they're not.

The solution to the problem is: (√5,0) and (-√5,0).

Am I doing something wrong? How do I proceed about when presented with maxima and minima confined to a limited region of space?

Physics news on Phys.org
You're not considering points on the boundary of K. Just like endpoints can be absolute max/mins when we are dealing with functions of single variables, so too boundary points can be absolute max/mins when dealing with multivariable functions.

K in our case happens to be the portion of the circle x2+y2≤5 on and below the y-axis (y≤0). The equation of the two curves that close this set are thus [itex]y=-\sqrt{5-x^{2}}[/itex] and [itex]y=0[/itex]

Thus, [itex]f(x,y)=f(x,-\sqrt{5-x^{2}})=2x^{3}-2(-\sqrt{5-x^{2}})^{3}-3x^{2}[/itex] on the boundary of the semicircle. Use techniques of single variable calculus to find the critical points of this function.
Also, don't forget the line y=0, which is also a boundary of K. Here, [itex]f(x,y)=f(x,0)=2x^{3}-3x^{2}[/itex]. Again, use techniques of single variable calculus to find critical points.

After finding all critical points, evaluate f(x,y) at each critical point to find the absolute max/min values.

EDIT: As HallsofIvy pointed out, the endpoints of those single variable functions [itex]f(x,-\sqrt{5-x^{2}})[/itex] and [itex]f(x,0)[/itex] are also possible max/mins for f(x,y). In both cases, [itex]-\sqrt{5}≤x≤\sqrt{5}[/itex].

Last edited:
Theorem: A continuous function takes on both max and min values on a closed and bounded set. Further, if the max or min occur on the interior of the set, then the partial derivatives are all 0 at that point.

So to find such max and min you first look for places in the interior where the partial derivatives are 0, (0, 0) and (1, 0). However, then you must look on the boundary, which, here, is the circle with center at (0, 0) and radius 5. Since that boundary is a one dimensional curve we can write it it terms of a single parameter. The simplest thing to do is to use polar coordinates- the curve is given by [itex]x= 5 cos(\theta)[/itex] and [itex]y= 5 sin(\theta)[/itex] with. On that circle the f(x,y) becomes [itex]f(\theta)= 250 cos^3(\theta)- 250 sin^3(\theta)- 75 cos^2(\theta)[/itex] with [itex]-\pi< \theta< 0[/itex]. Another part of the boundary is the "base", y= 0, where [itex]f(x,y)= f(x, 0)= 2x^3- 3x^2[/itex]. To find max and min on the interior of those curves, set the derivatives equal to 0. Finally, you will need to check the boundaries of those, the endpoints, (5, 0) and (-5, 0).
That is, find all points, in the interior of the set, where [itex]f_x= f_y= 0[/itex], all points on the two curves where [itex]f_\theta= 0[/itex] or [itex]f_x= 0[/itex], and, finally, the two points (5, 0) and (-5, 0). Check the values of the function at each of those points.

Last edited by a moderator:
@HallsOfIvy

The radius of the semicircle is [itex]\sqrt{5}[/itex], not 5.

Yes, thanks.

So, let's see if I got this right:

I have a function f(x,y) with its graph in space: (x,y,2x3-2y3-3x2). If they hadn't give me the restriction K, the only two candidates to maximum and minimum would have been the (x,y) pairs for which ∇f(x,y)=(0,0), which are (0,0) and (1,0).

When they give a set K and tell me to find a maximum and a minimum in that region defined by K, not only do I have to consider if the previously found critical points fit K but I have to check the boundaries of K (as I would, similarly, check the endpoints of a single variable function).

Having all the (x,y) pairs: (0,0);(1,0);(-√5,0);(√5,0);(2,-1), I only need to evaluate the f(x,y):

f(0,0)=0
f(1,0)=-1
f(-√5,0)=-15-10√5
f(√5,0)=-15+10√5>0
f(2,-1)=6<f(√5,0)

Therefore, I can conclude that f(√5,0) is the maximum and f(-√5,0) is the minimum.

Is this right?

Yes.

Mathoholic! said:

Homework Statement

f(x,y)=2x3-2y3-3x2

K={(x,y)[itex]\in[/itex]ℝ2:x2+y2≤5,y≤0}

Find the maximum and minum of f(x,y) within K.

Homework Equations

∇f(x,y)=(6x2-6x,-6y)

Hess(f)=diag(12x-6,-6) (relevant?)

The Attempt at a Solution

What I've done so far was calculate the pair(s) (x,y) that make ∇f(x,y)=(0,0).
It gave me: (0,0) and (1,0).
Now, both these points belong to K (a semicircle), thus, I would assume them to be good candidates but they're not.

The solution to the problem is: (√5,0) and (-√5,0).

Am I doing something wrong? How do I proceed about when presented with maxima and minima confined to a limited region of space?

In general, derivatives need not vanish at optima that lie on the boundary. The simplest example of this is: max or min f(x) = x, subject to 0 ≤ x ≤ 1. The min is at x=0, and the max is at x=1, but f'(x) = +1 at both those points. Have you taken the Karush-Kuhn-Tucker conditions yet? They are what would apply to your problem.

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
In general, derivatives need not vanish at optima that lie on the boundary. The simplest example of this is: max or min f(x) = x, subject to 0 ≤ x ≤ 1. The min is at x=0, and the max is at x=1, but f'(x) = +1 at both those points. Have you taken the Karush-Kuhn-Tucker conditions yet? They are what would apply to your problem.

RGV

No, I haven't. I'm at the first year of physics degree. I have no idea of when I'll learn KKT conditions .-.

Mathoholic! said:
No, I haven't. I'm at the first year of physics degree. I have no idea of when I'll learn KKT conditions .-.

OK, here is how they would look. Your problem is max/min f(x,y) = 2x^3-2y^3-3x^2. subject to g(x,y) <= 0 and y <= 0, where g(x,y) = x^2 + y^2 - 5.

Say we want the maximizing point (x*,y*). Here are some obvious facts: (1) either g(x*,y*) < 0 or g(x*,y*) = 0; and (2) either y* < 0 or y* = 0.

We form a Lagrangian L = f(x,y) - u*g(x,y), u >= 0. [Note the sign!] For a max problem with an inequality constraint, the Lagrangian should be better than (or at least as good as) the objective at feasible points, so it should have the form f -(negative) > f; thus, if g < 0 we need to subtract u*g, with u >= 0. Here, u is a Lagrange multiplier---often denoted as λ---but u is easier to type. Then, at a maximizing point (x*,y*) we have:
(1) ∂L/∂x = 0 (because x did not have a sign restriction); (2) ∂L/∂y ≥ 0, and either y = 0 or ∂L/∂y = 0; (3) g ≤ 0, u ≥ 0 and either g = 0 or u = 0.

Unfortunately, getting the solution can involve a number of cases, corresponding to the "either-or" statements above. It is usually easier to try to first gain some insights into the nature of a solution, so that one can (hopefully) make the correct choices in the either-or conditions. That still leaves the question of how one does second-order tests for a max (or a min) in such cases. I will leave that question for now.

For the min problem, you could either change the Lagrangian to L = f + u*g, with u >= 0), or keep the same Lagrangian L= f - u*g as above, but change the sign condition to u <= 0. In either case the y-derivative conditions would change to ∂L/∂y ≤ 0, and either this = 0 or y = 0.

For your problem I would suggest you solve two problems: (1) max(or min) f(x,0) subject to g(x,0) <= 0 (this takes y = 0); it is a univariate maximization, and the x-constraint is a simple interval restriction -sqrt(5) <= x <= sqrt(5). (2) max (or min) f(x,y), subject to g(x,y) = 0, which can be attacked by various methods (the simplest being a change to polar coordinates x = sqrt(5)*cos(t), y = -sqrt(5)*sin(t), with 0 <= t ,= pi). You can think about why solving these two cases covers all the possibilities.

RGV

Related to Maximum and minimum of f(x,y) within a confined domain

1. What is the definition of maximum and minimum within a confined domain?

The maximum and minimum of a function within a confined domain refer to the highest and lowest values that the function can achieve within a specific range of inputs. This range, or domain, is typically defined by a set of constraints or limitations.

2. How do you determine the maximum and minimum of a function within a confined domain?

To find the maximum and minimum of a function within a confined domain, you can use a variety of methods such as differentiation, setting up and solving equations, or graphing the function. It ultimately depends on the complexity of the function and the specific domain constraints.

3. Can a function have more than one maximum or minimum within a confined domain?

Yes, it is possible for a function to have multiple maximum or minimum values within a confined domain. This can occur when the function has multiple peaks or valleys within the given range of inputs.

4. How do you know if a critical point is a maximum or minimum within a confined domain?

A critical point is a point where the derivative of the function is equal to zero. To determine if a critical point is a maximum or minimum within a confined domain, you can use the Second Derivative Test or evaluate the function at points on either side of the critical point.

5. How can the maximum and minimum values of a function within a confined domain be used in real-world applications?

The maximum and minimum values of a function within a confined domain can be used to optimize various real-world scenarios, such as maximizing profit or minimizing costs. They can also help in understanding the behavior and limitations of a system or process.