Maximizing the fraction of two integrals

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the maximization of a complex fraction for positive values of a. The person initially tried using calculus and Mathematica, but was unable to find a solution. They then considered using MATLAB, but were unsure how to proceed. Another person suggests using Maple and provides a possible solution for a<0. The conversation ends with a request for a plot to verify the findings.
Verdict
EDIT:
I left out something of major importance, I want to maximize with respect to a!

Homework Statement

My problem is rather complex, but in the end it boils down to maximizing the fraction
integrals.jpg

Homework Equations

With the calculus I know, I can't evaluate these integrals, so I have no applicable formula's

The Attempt at a Solution

So I am pretty stuck at this point. I want to maximize this fraction for positive a, but I simply don't know how. I tried using mathematica, and although it can evaluate the integrals, it cannot maximize the fraction. So instead I figured I should use MATLAB (which I also have to my disposal) to do so instead, but I simply don't know how.
Could anyone help me out? Either there exists a clever way of evaluating them, or simply by maybe giving me an idea of how to maximize this in matlab.

I don't get much further than defining the integrals, as
fun1 = @(x) x.^2./(exp(x)-1);
fun2 = @(x) x.^3./(exp(x)-1);

Kind regards

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Verdict said:
EDIT:

Homework Statement

My problem is rather complex, but in the end it boils down to maximizing the fraction
integrals.jpg

Homework Equations

With the calculus I know, I can't evaluate these integrals, so I have no applicable formula's

So I am pretty stuck at this point. I want to maximize this fraction for positive a, but I simply don't know how. I tried using mathematica, and although it can evaluate the integrals, it cannot maximize the fraction. So instead I figured I should use MATLAB (which I also have to my disposal) to do so instead, but I simply don't know how.
Could anyone help me out? Either there exists a clever way of evaluating them, or simply by maybe giving me an idea of how to maximize this in matlab.

Kind regards

In Maple, if I change variables to z = exp(y) and then help the program by assuming a < 0, I get
that the numerator N and denominator D are:
[tex]N= -a^2 \ln(1-e^a)-2 a \,\text{polylog}(2,e^a)+2\, \text{polylog}(3,e^a)+\frac{1}{3} a^3 \\
D = -a^3 \ln(1-e^a)-3a^2\, \text{polylog}(2,e^a)
+6a\, \text{polylog}(3,e^a)-6\, \text{polylog}(4,e^a)+\frac{1}{4} a^4+\frac{2}{15} \pi^4
[/tex]
According to Maple,
[tex] \text{polylog}(a,z) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{z^n}{n^a}[/tex] for
##|z| < 1##, and is defined by analytic continuation otherwise. The index ##a## can be any complex number. If ##\Re(a) \leq 1## the point ##z = 1## is a singularity. For all indices ##a## the point ##z=1## is a branch point, and in Maple the branch cut is taken to be the interval ##(1,\infty)##.

We see from this that for a<0 the formulas above are unambiguous; furthermore, the function ##\ln(1 - e^a)## is also real and unambiguous. For a > 0 both the log and the polylog functions become complex, but when evaluated in Maple, the imaginary parts seem to go away and the result remains well defined and real. When plotted, the function N/D has its maximum at a = 0.

Verdict said:
EDIT:

Homework Statement

integrals.jpg

Homework Equations

Kind regards

I noticed you didn't say, "maximize symbolically" or algebraic which mean numerically would do so you can't just plot them and look for a maximum?

Suppose I define the integral functions:

$$f(a)=\int_a^{\infty}\frac{y^3}{e^y-1}$$

$$g(a)=\int_a^{\infty}\frac{y^2}{e^y-1}$$

Ok then, solve them numerically and then just plot

Plot[f(a)/g(a),{a,0,100}]

or so.

First need to set them up correctly in Mathematica. I'll do the first one:

Code:
f[a_?NumericQ] := NIntegrate[y^3/(Exp[y] - 1), {y, a, \[Infinity]}]

Now you do the other and try the plot routine to see what happens. I haven't so I'm curious what you find. After you do so numerically, you'll have an empirical grounding and you can then more comfortably if you wish attempt to do so symbolically.

Last edited:
I would expect the maximum at a=0.

At a=0, both integrals are positive. A smaller a will reduce the numerator and increase the denominator -> bad
Between a=0 and a=1, the fraction is smaller than 1. Increasing a will reduce the numerator more than the denominator -> bad
For a>1, the fraction is smaller than 1/a. Increasing a will reduce the numerator by 1/a more than the denominator -> bad

Therefore, the fraction has its maximum at a, and it is decreasing towards both sides.

This is just a result of a plot of both functions, no integration is necessary.

I request a plot. Verdict, it's your thread. Code too.

Related to Maximizing the fraction of two integrals

1. What is the purpose of maximizing the fraction of two integrals?

The purpose of maximizing the fraction of two integrals is to find the optimal ratio between two integrals, which can provide valuable information about the underlying data and help in making more accurate predictions or decisions.

2. How is the fraction of two integrals calculated?

The fraction of two integrals is calculated by dividing the value of one integral by the value of the other integral. This can be done using mathematical formulas or with the help of computer software.

3. What factors can affect the fraction of two integrals?

The fraction of two integrals can be affected by various factors such as the shape and distribution of the data, the range of the integrals, and the method used for calculating the integrals.

4. Can maximizing the fraction of two integrals improve the accuracy of predictions?

Yes, maximizing the fraction of two integrals can improve the accuracy of predictions by providing a better understanding of the data and allowing for more precise calculations and evaluations.

5. Are there any limitations to maximizing the fraction of two integrals?

Yes, there are limitations to maximizing the fraction of two integrals. The method may not be applicable to all types of data and may not always result in a meaningful or useful ratio. It is important to carefully consider the data and the purpose of the analysis before using this method.