Maximizing Spring Compression in Colliding Carts

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a 2kg cart with a spring attached, rolling towards a stationary 1kg cart. The question is asked about the maximum compression of the spring during the collision. Possible solutions are discussed, including the conservation of energy and momentum. The concept of an elastic collision and its impact on the motion of the center of mass is also brought up.
port31

Homework Statement

A 2kg cart has a spring with k=5000N/m attached to its
front parallel to the ground. This cart rolls at 4m/s toward a stationary
1kg cart.
What is the maximum compression of the spring during the collision

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the spring will stop compressing when the 2 carts are moving
at the same speed. And there will be a point where the potential energy in the spring
plus the KE of the 2 carts will equal the original energy of moving cart.
so I think I should start with
[itex] kx^2+m_2v^2+m_1v^2=m_2{v_0}^2 [/itex]
now I need another equation because I have 2 unknowns in my one equation

Physics news on Phys.org
What else is conserved in every collision?

ok thanks momentum. ok i got it figured out.

what an interesting question..

The presence of a spring tells you that the collision will be elastic.

What can you say about the center of mass of the system in an elastic collision?

I didnt think this one through very much, but will the center of mass stay the same.

A hint for answering the question about the motion of the center of mass: The total momentum of a system of particles is equal to the total mass of the system times the velocity of the center of mass.

Related to Maximizing Spring Compression in Colliding Carts

1. How does the spring affect the motion of the cart?

The spring affects the motion of the cart by providing a restoring force that oscillates the cart back and forth. The greater the spring constant, the stronger the restoring force, resulting in faster oscillations.

2. What is the relationship between the spring constant and the cart's acceleration?

The spring constant and the cart's acceleration are directly proportional. As the spring constant increases, the acceleration of the cart also increases.

3. Can the cart's motion be described by simple harmonic motion?

Yes, the cart's motion can be described by simple harmonic motion as long as the amplitude of the oscillations is small and the spring force is the only force acting on the cart.

4. How does the mass of the cart affect its motion with the spring?

The mass of the cart affects its motion with the spring by influencing the period of the oscillations. A higher mass will result in a longer period, while a lower mass will result in a shorter period.

5. Is there a limit to how far the cart can oscillate with the spring?

Yes, there is a limit to how far the cart can oscillate with the spring. The amplitude of the oscillations will decrease over time due to energy dissipation, eventually reaching a point where the cart no longer moves.