Maximizing Retention in Education: The Role of Reinforcement and Relevance

In summary, the conversation discusses the different types of memory and how they relate to education. It also raises questions about the value of education and whether it is more important to focus on the quantity of information or the meaning of what is learned. The conversation also touches on the changing methods of learning and the importance of making connections in education.
John Creighto
When we are young we are taught about two kinds of memory. There is long term memory and their is short term memory. Students are taught to memorize facts though repetition but is repetition of a fact in a 4-8 moth period enough to retain a significant portion of that information over a long period of time (4 or more years)?

Long term memory is semantic in that we remember things in long term memory better by what they mean and how they relate to other facts we know then as random single pieces of information. How much of your parents university degree do they remember and if education is what you are left with once you have forgotten everything then what is the value of an education?

In order to retain a significant portion of what is learned though education we must not only reinforce the facts and concepts but we must also reinforce the relationships between various concepts we learn and the relationships between what we learn and the real world.

In the early years of education we can plan education so what the students will use the most is taught first. As we build upon that knowledge if the most important concepts are taught first then in later years of education we will face a dilemma because students who more easily see the relevance of what is being taught will retain stuff longer.

Is it more important to teach to the students who will naturally apply what is taught in which case we can teach more basic facts or is it more important to teach to the student who do not as easily see how to apply what they learn.

If we teach to this latter class of students then it is much more important to teach how this information is relevant and relates to other things they leaned if we hope that they will retain and use what they learned in school.

Another question is the general direction a student takes. If a student goes into graduate studies or even teaching then they will re-use, reinforce and have a greater opportunity to reflect on what they learn. However, outside academia a much greater percentage of what is learned will be lost.

There is a somewhat alternative approach which is used in philosophy departments where students are required to read large amount on the topic being studied. This is based on the theory that because only a small portion of what is read is retained; that if one reads a lot then one will retain a lot. This approach let's students distill from the volume of text what they believe is important and ideas which re-appear though multiple texts are more likely to be retained as they will likely have a higher degree of relevance.

However, the approach in philosophy in education is much different then other departments because a much greater focus is placed in the comprehension of what is learned then the quantity of information which one can regurgitate on a test.

I do not have a strong opinion on weather it is more important to focus on the quantity of information or the meaning of what is learned but I do think that education should be planed so what is taught is widely applicable. For instance if one is learning history, how is that history relevant to science, economics, philosophy, theology, psychology, literature. etc...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think we are right in the middle of a change how information is dealt with! We used to learn by heart, but nowadays people get used to learn how and where to look it up.

It is more an observation than a theory and I only have vague hypotheses. But my observation is, that people process information differently than a generation or two before. The amount of what is available has changed, the time span of concentration shortened and a few more things. My grandma could still recite the poems she had to learn at school, I have trouble with the first verse of mine, and nowadays they don't even practice this anymore. I learned to read, nowadays they learn icons. That has to have an impact.

Amongst other things education should train in the habit of making connections, even if cautious and conjectural.

However I was unable to make any connection between the thread theme and its title.

epenguin said:
Amongst other things education should train in the habit of making connections, even if cautious and conjectural.

However I was unable to make any connection between the thread theme and its title.
Yes, I don't seen any connection, either.

Related to Maximizing Retention in Education: The Role of Reinforcement and Relevance

What is Graph Theory?

Graph Theory is a mathematical branch that deals with the study of graphs, which are mathematical structures used to represent networks of connections between objects. It involves the analysis of properties and characteristics of these graphs, as well as the development of algorithms and models to solve problems related to them.

How is Graph Theory related to Education?

Graph Theory has various applications in the field of education. It can be used to study and analyze social networks among students, teachers, and other individuals in an educational setting. It is also useful in curriculum design and scheduling, as it can help optimize the flow of information and resources. Additionally, Graph Theory is used in computer science and data analysis, which have become increasingly important fields in education.

What are some real-world examples of Graph Theory in Education?

One example of Graph Theory in education is the study of student collaboration and peer influence. By creating a graph of connections between students, researchers can analyze the impact of social networks on academic achievement and behavior. Another example is the use of graphs to model and optimize course schedules, taking into account factors such as room availability and student preferences.

How can Graph Theory be used to improve teaching and learning?

Graph Theory can be applied to improve teaching and learning in various ways. For example, it can be used to analyze patterns of student engagement and identify effective teaching strategies. It can also be used to develop personalized learning paths based on individual student's strengths and weaknesses. Additionally, Graph Theory can assist in the analysis of data from educational technology platforms, allowing educators to make data-informed decisions.

What are some future developments in the application of Graph Theory in Education?

As technology continues to advance, the use of Graph Theory in education is expected to grow. With the increasing use of data analytics in education, Graph Theory will play a crucial role in analyzing and interpreting complex data sets. There is also potential for the development of new algorithms and models to solve educational problems, such as personalized learning and adaptive assessments. Additionally, the integration of Graph Theory with other fields such as artificial intelligence and machine learning could lead to innovative solutions for educational challenges.