Maximizing Intersection Points in a Circle: Geometry Math Problem Solution

• Thread starter foxofdesert
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geometry
In summary, the question asks about the maximum number of distinct intersection points inside a circle with five segments connecting ten uniformly spaced points. After working through different scenarios, it was determined that there can only be a maximum of eight intersection points and this was confirmed by the professor. Attempts were made to find a way to have nine or ten intersection points, but it was proven that this is not possible.
foxofdesert

Homework Statement

then points are uniformly spaced on a circle. Each of the points is connected by a segment to exactly one of the other points for a total of five segments. Some pairs of the segments may intersect and some may not. What is the maximum possible number of distinct intersection points inside of the circle? Justify your answer.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been working on this question almost for a week, drawing a lot of circles, and trying.
I have found 8 intersections so far, but I keep thinking that there could be a 9th one.

Logically, there can be maximum of 10 points, since assuming there are 5 lines, the line 1 can have 4 intersections with other 4 lines, and the line 2 have 3, and so on. That is
n(n-1)/2 where n is the number of lines. However, since the end points of the line segements are uniformly spaced on the circle, these 10 intersection points are all in the same place, therefore 10 distinct intersections are impossible.

This is my idea so far, and haven't improved yet. Can anyone help me or give me some idea?
I will need an example of '9-intersection' and proof of 'there cannot be 10 intersections. I will keep posting if I get other thoughts.

Physics news on Phys.org

Here is the geometrical idea and some explain.

I drew a perpect pentagon first, then extended each line segments evenly, and drew a perpect circle. Then, I had thought that if I extend the line segeents even longer, then I could get 10 distinct intersect points. Then, however, the points cannot be uniformly placed on the circle, no matter how far I extend it.

Attachments

• 10points.png
    10points.png
    3.5 KB · Views: 370

Is it that the problem is hard or my poor english skills? :(

Anyways, I concluded that there can be only 8 intersections, and my prof said it is correct. I proved that there cannot be 10 intersections when the points are uniformly placed, and did some weird-looking proof of there cannot be 9 intersections as well.

so, I got the answer, but I'm still curious about the full proof. anyone?

foxofdesert said:

Homework Statement

[itex] > > > [/itex]then points [itex] < < < [/itex]are uniformly spaced on a circle.

Oh, I see you meant to type "ten points."

You did mention some difficulty with typing English.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Maximizing Intersection Points in a Circle: Geometry Math Problem Solution

1. How do you find the maximum number of intersection points in a circle?

To find the maximum number of intersection points in a circle, you need to use the formula n(n-1)/2, where n is the number of points on the circle. This formula is derived from the fact that each point can intersect with every other point on the circle except itself.

2. Can the maximum number of intersection points in a circle be greater than the number of points on the circle?

No, the maximum number of intersection points in a circle can never be greater than the number of points on the circle. This is because the formula n(n-1)/2 will always result in a smaller number than n, regardless of the value of n.

3. What is the significance of finding the maximum number of intersection points in a circle?

Knowing the maximum number of intersection points in a circle can be useful in various applications, such as in graph theory and computer science. It can also help in solving geometry problems and understanding the relationship between points on a circle.

4. Is there a specific method for maximizing intersection points in a circle?

Yes, there are different methods that can be used to maximize the number of intersection points in a circle. One common method is to evenly distribute the points on the circle so that they are equidistant from each other. Another method is to arrange the points in a symmetrical pattern.

5. How can the concept of maximizing intersection points in a circle be applied in real-life scenarios?

The concept of maximizing intersection points in a circle can be applied in various fields, such as network optimization, traffic flow analysis, and scheduling problems. It can also be used in designing efficient and visually appealing layouts for circular objects, such as roundabouts, gardens, and city planning.