Maximizing Gradient for Steep Climb on Hill Surface

In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine the direction in which a person should proceed in order to climb most steeply on a hill with a given surface. The gradient vector is mentioned as a way to calculate the direction, but there is confusion about which variables to take partial derivatives with respect to. Eventually, it is clarified that the gradient of z should be used.
kasse
"You are standing at the point (30, 20, 5) on a hill with the shape of the surface z=100exp((-x^2+3y^2)/701). In what direction should you proceed in order to climb most steeply?"

SInce the grad vector allegedly points in the most steep direction of the surface, I guess I'll have to compute that one. But I'm not sure if I'm suppoesd to compute the partials of all of x, y and z or only x and y in the gradient. How can I know that?

Physics news on Phys.org
Edit: z is a function of x and y.

the thing is, it depends on what kind of increase you want. obviously from the question, it implies the direction that z ("climb most steeply") increases most rapidly. so, take the derivatives with respect to z.

No, it doesn't. You are given that z is a function of x and y so take the gradient of z using the partial derivatives of z with respcect to x and y. (That may be what tim lou meant to say.)

It would make no sense to talk about taking partial derivatives of x and y- with respect to what other variables?

SInce the grad vector allegedly points in the most steep direction of the surface, I guess I'll have to compute that one.
Why "allegedly"? And you surely, by "that one" mean the gradient of z don't you? So why was there any question?

Related to Maximizing Gradient for Steep Climb on Hill Surface

1. What is the purpose of maximizing gradient for steep climb on hill surface?

Maximizing gradient for steep climb on hill surface is important for optimizing the efficiency and performance of vehicles and machinery when navigating hilly terrain. It allows for a steeper climb, reducing the distance traveled and saving time and energy.

2. What factors affect the gradient for steep climb on hill surface?

The gradient for steep climb on hill surface is affected by several factors, including the weight and power of the vehicle, the type of terrain, the angle of the slope, and the condition of the hill surface.

3. How do you calculate the maximum gradient for steep climb on hill surface?

The maximum gradient for steep climb on hill surface can be calculated by dividing the rise of the hill (vertical height) by the run (horizontal distance). This will give you a ratio or percentage that represents the maximum slope that can be climbed.

4. What techniques can be used to maximize gradient for steep climb on hill surface?

There are several techniques that can be used to maximize gradient for steep climb on hill surface, such as increasing the power or traction of the vehicle, reducing the weight or load being carried, and using specialized equipment or attachments for better grip on the hill surface.

5. Are there any safety concerns when maximizing gradient for steep climb on hill surface?

Yes, there are safety concerns when maximizing gradient for steep climb on hill surface. It is important to consider the stability of the vehicle or machinery, the condition of the hill surface, and any potential hazards such as loose rocks or steep drop-offs. Proper training and caution should be exercised when attempting to navigate steep climbs on hilly terrain.