Maximizing f(x) with Mean Value Theorem

In summary, the author attempted to solve a homework equation but was unsuccessful because the c value could take on any value greater than -3.
Saitama

Homework Statement

Suppose that f(0)=-3 and f'(x)<=5 for all values of x. The the largest value of f(2) is
A)7
B)-7
C)13
D)8

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem can be easily solved using the mean value theorem but solving it in a different way doesn't give the right answer and I am not sure if the following is a valid approach.
I have ##f'(x) \leq 5 \Rightarrow f(x) \leq 5x+c##, where c is some constant. At x=0, ##f(0) \leq c \Rightarrow c\geq -3##.
At x=2, ##f(2)\leq 10+c##. The problem is that c can take any value greater than -3 and due to this I reach no answer. What is wrong with this method?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Pranav-Arora said:

Homework Statement

Suppose that f(0)=-3 and f'(x)<=5 for all values of x. The the largest value of f(2) is
A)7
B)-7
C)13
D)8

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem can be easily solved using the mean value theorem but solving it in a different way doesn't give the right answer and I am not sure if the following is a valid approach.
I have ##f'(x) \leq 5 \Rightarrow f(x) \leq 5x+c##, where c is some constant. At x=0, ##f(0) \leq c \Rightarrow c\geq -3##.
At x=2, ##f(2)\leq 10+c##. The problem is that c can take any value greater than -3 and due to this I reach no answer. What is wrong with this method?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

f ' (x) = k ≤ 5. Integrating, f=kx+c and f(0)=-3. Therefore C=-3, well determined.

ehild

ehild said:
f ' (x) = k ≤ 5. Integrating, f=kx+c and f(0)=-3. Therefore C=-3, well determined.

ehild

Really silly on my part, thank you very much ehild! :)

Related to Maximizing f(x) with Mean Value Theorem

1. What is the "Mean Value Theorem"?

The Mean Value Theorem is a fundamental theorem in calculus that states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval and differentiable on the open interval, then there exists a point within the interval where the slope of the tangent line is equal to the slope of the secant line connecting the endpoints.

2. How is the Mean Value Theorem used to solve problems?

The Mean Value Theorem is often used to prove the existence of a specific point in a given interval where the function has a certain value or property. It can also be used to find the average rate of change of a function over an interval.

3. What are some common applications of the Mean Value Theorem?

The Mean Value Theorem has many real-world applications, such as in physics, economics, and engineering. It can be used to analyze motion, optimize production processes, and approximate solutions to differential equations.

4. Can the Mean Value Theorem be used for all functions?

No, the Mean Value Theorem can only be applied to functions that are continuous on a closed interval and differentiable on the open interval. If these conditions are not met, then the theorem cannot be used.

5. How does the Mean Value Theorem relate to the Intermediate Value Theorem?

The Mean Value Theorem is a direct consequence of the Intermediate Value Theorem. The Intermediate Value Theorem states that if a function is continuous on an interval and takes on two different values at the endpoints, then it must also take on every value in between. This is a crucial step in the proof of the Mean Value Theorem.