Maximizing Compound Interest: Comparing Weekly and Quarterly Payments

• Thread starter pbonnie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    annuity
In summary, the conversation is about a question on comparing the benefits of interest calculations done quarterly versus weekly. The equation used is sn = [a(1-r^n)]/(1-r), where n represents the number of compounding periods and r represents the interest rate. The question is whether Harold benefits from the interest calculation being done quarterly or weekly, and the conversation discusses the values to use for r and n. Ultimately, it is suggested to compare the interest earned on $1 for a year with the two methods to show that weekly compounding is better.
pbonnie

Homework Statement

Question is attached.

Homework Equations

sn = [a(1-r^n)]/(1-r)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the more compounding periods there are, the better. The part that I'm stuck on is what values to put for r and n, since the rate that he is making payments is different from the number of compounding periods. When I use this equation, (using 1 year of payments for example), I'm getting a confusing answer. I used 12 for n, since there are 12 payments being made in 1 year, but I think that's the problem? Since n is supposed to be the number of compounding periods. But then how do I show that there are 12 payments being made?

Attachments

• math.png
    math.png
    7.2 KB · Views: 470
Physics news on Phys.org
pbonnie said:

Homework Statement

Question is attached.

Homework Equations

sn = [a(1-r^n)]/(1-r)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the more compounding periods there are, the better. The part that I'm stuck on is what values to put for r and n, since the rate that he is making payments is different from the number of compounding periods. When I use this equation, (using 1 year of payments for example), I'm getting a confusing answer. I used 12 for n, since there are 12 payments being made in 1 year, but I think that's the problem? Since n is supposed to be the number of compounding periods. But then how do I show that there are 12 payments being made?
You can't put anything for r, since the interest rate is not given. All you need to do is say whether Harold benefits from the interest calculation being done quarterly vs. being done weekly. To justify your decision, you can ignore the fact that he is putting money in his account monthly, and just compare the two interest schemes: quarterly vs. weekly.

you can work out the change in the equation, due to compounding weekly, while depositing monthly (by carefully thinking about what happens over the course of each month). But as Mark44 says, the question seems to just want a qualitative answer. i.e. a reasonable explanation for why he is better off.

Oh okay great, thank you both. I was trying to use the equation as a hypothetical situation to show that weekly compounding is better but I guess since it didn't give any other value it's only looking for a word answer.
Thank you :)

Actually, you can do better by showing mathematically that he earns more interest when it's computed weekly vs. quarterly. Just compare the interest earned on $1 for a year with the two methods.

Related to Maximizing Compound Interest: Comparing Weekly and Quarterly Payments

1. What is a compound investment annuity?

A compound investment annuity is a financial product that allows an individual to invest a lump sum of money for a set period of time, with the option to receive regular payments (annuity) at a fixed or variable interest rate. The interest earned on the initial investment is reinvested, resulting in compound growth over time.

2. How is compound interest calculated for an annuity?

Compound interest for an annuity is calculated by multiplying the initial investment amount by the interest rate, and then adding that amount to the initial investment. This calculation is repeated for each interest payment period, resulting in compounding growth over time.

3. What is the difference between a fixed and variable interest rate for a compound investment annuity?

A fixed interest rate means that the interest earned on the initial investment will remain the same throughout the investment term. A variable interest rate means that the interest earned may fluctuate based on market conditions, potentially resulting in higher or lower returns.

4. Can I withdraw money from a compound investment annuity before the end of the investment term?

It depends on the specific terms and conditions of the annuity. Some annuities may allow for early withdrawals, but there may be penalties or fees associated with doing so. It is important to carefully review the terms of the annuity before making any decisions.

5. Are there any tax implications for a compound investment annuity?

Yes, the earnings from a compound investment annuity are subject to income tax. However, if the annuity is held within a tax-deferred account, such as a retirement account, taxes will be deferred until the funds are withdrawn.