Maximizing Chatroom Hours: Finding the Balance Between Revenue and Engagement

• Thread starter JasonRox
  • Start date
In summary, the group discussed the possibility of having additional chat sessions on days other than the current once-a-week schedule. However, it was agreed that this would not be feasible due to potential negative impacts on forum engagement and revenue. The limited time and frequency of the chat session was seen as a special perk and a way for members to get to know each other better. It was also noted that displaying the chat link takes away from AdSense revenue for the site. Overall, it was decided to keep the current schedule and not host any additional chat events.
JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I had a good chat session today. Unfortunately, it had to get cut short because I had a diner to go to.

Are there ways to get more hours? Is anyone interested in other days? I think Friday and Saturdays would be bad times. What about like Sunday evening or Wednesday evening?

If I need to, I'll manage it the whole time. I'd be willing to volunteer 3 hours.

Who agrees?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm all for it Jason, but you need to really do some major sucking up to Greg :biggrin:

Glad you enjoy it! That feeling in stomach that yearns for more is exactly why we have it once a week with limited hours. Add more days and times and it becomes no big deal and you don't look forward to the next time as much. :smile:

There are fundamental differences in how communication is delivered and stored between chat and forums. PF has any sort of use and efficency because records are permanent and organized in a forum format. You can't search and organize chat. There is no good way to record it and for google to index it.

More time people are in chat, the less they are in the forums. Forums are the bread and butter of site and if we are distracted too much by chat then forum threads will suffer. Also the more time I have that chat link under the nav bar the less time ads are shown. PF's revenue is halved on Sundays. I can't take more than that.

So, with that said it was agreed in the beginning that chat would be a once a week event that people would look forward to. We can't support any more time nor any chat event hosted somewhere else by a member.

Likes adjacent
Greg Bernhardt said:
Glad you enjoy it! That feeling in stomach that yearns for more is exactly why we have it once a week with limited hours. Add more days and times and it becomes no big deal and you don't look forward to the next time as much. :smile:

There are fundamental differences in how communication is delivered and stored between chat and forums. PF has any sort of use and efficency because records are permanent and organized in a forum format. You can't search and organize chat. There is no good way to record it and for google to index it.

More time people are in chat, the less they are in the forums. Forums are the bread and butter of site and if we are distracted too much by chat then forum threads will suffer. Also the more time I have that chat link under the nav bar the less time ads are shown. PF's revenue is halved on Sundays. I can't take more than that.

So, with that said it was agreed in the beginning that chat would be a once a week event that people would look forward to. We can't support any more time nor any chat event hosted somewhere else by a member.

Totally understand.

Is it possible to have a vote to see when the chat is most convenient?

Or maybe put it at times that won't affect revenues so much, but be convenient for the common chat user.

I agree that Sunday afternoon is a pretty good time. Just not sure what the other users think.

Greg Bernhardt said:
...More time people are in chat, the less they are in the forums. Forums are the bread and butter of site and if we are distracted too much by chat then forum threads will suffer. Also the more time I have that chat link under the nav bar the less time ads are shown. PF's revenue is halved on Sundays. I can't take more than that...

Fair enough Greg, however I observe generally something like a dozen people in the chatroom, of which several are contributors. That could not explain the dip in revenues, could it?

It's probably also because many people may have other things going on Sundays?

Not suggesting anything. Just an observation.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Also the more time I have that chat link under the nav bar the less time ads are shown. PF's revenue is halved on Sundays. I can't take more than that.
I did not know that. Would it be better to put the link in Forum Feedback for the time chat is active?

As much as I enjoy chat, I agree that it takes people out of the forum, which is not what we're here for. I look at it as a perk, a time to chit chat and get to know other members better. The limited time makes it special.

Andre said:
Fair enough Greg, however I observe generally something like a dozen people in the chatroom, of which several are contributors. That could not explain the dip in revenues, could it?

That's not how it works. AdSense makes money when it is displayed and people click on the ads. When the PF chat link is displayed everyone browsing the forums sees that link and not ASense ads. No AdSense ads displayed, no AdSense revenue. To some extent revenue is just directly proportional to the exposition time.

(the last phrase is utterly wrong, as it assumes constant traffic; but you should get what I mean).

And I agree with those saying that what we have is enough - it is a great social event now, it will be less attractive if it will be longer or repeated during a week.

Related to Maximizing Chatroom Hours: Finding the Balance Between Revenue and Engagement

1. Why do we need more chatroom hours?

Having more chatroom hours allows for increased communication and collaboration among scientists, which can lead to more efficient and effective research outcomes.

2. How will more chatroom hours benefit us?

More chatroom hours can benefit scientists by providing a platform for exchanging ideas, discussing research findings, and seeking feedback and advice from peers. It can also help build a stronger scientific community and foster connections and collaborations.

3. What are the potential challenges of extending chatroom hours?

One potential challenge could be finding a balance between having enough chatroom hours to facilitate communication and not overwhelming scientists with too much screen time. Another challenge could be managing different time zones and schedules for scientists around the world.

4. How can we ensure productive conversations during extended chatroom hours?

To ensure productive conversations, it is important to establish guidelines and expectations for communication within the chatroom. This can include respectful and professional language, staying on topic, and encouraging active listening and constructive feedback.

5. Can we use other forms of communication instead of extending chatroom hours?

While chatrooms can be a valuable tool for communication among scientists, there are other forms of communication that can also be utilized, such as email, video conferencing, and social media platforms. It is important to consider the specific needs and preferences of the scientific community when deciding on the most effective communication methods.