Acquiring low grades whilst studying hard

In summary, the individual has been studying hard for their second year of computer science but has not achieved the desired results. They have a 7.2 GPA and are sacrificing their social life and making lifestyle changes in an effort to improve. The individual is struggling with time management, organization, and procrastination, and may benefit from examining their study habits and seeking advice from self-help books.
gorska
Hello, I've been meaning to ask this question for a while.

I have been studying hard for the past year and a half (It's my second year of Computer Science) while not getting remotely close to the desired results. I passed my first year with a 7.2 GPA (5 (failing grade) - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 (best)) which is very low given that I want to master in applied math or an area revolving around that.

I'm doing 6 hours a day Monday to Thursday, 10 hours a day Friday and Saturday, and in Sunday I try to rest a little. I rest every 30-45 minutes for 5-15 minutes. Now, I'm isolating myself, sacrificing my social life, among other things. I'm feeling angry at myself every time I get the exam results or when a deadline passes and I haven't finished the lab/project.

Was I not cut out for this? What's the problem? I even started eating healthier because I thought unhealthy food was the problem :D

Anything would be appreciated, thanks.

P.S: I do like what I study, no matter how angry I get, I know I will wake up the next day and head to the library/school.

Physics news on Phys.org
One of my first rules for improving is to take care of yourself, which it sounds like you're trying to do. For me that means eating well, getting lots of exercise, and getting a proper amount of sleep rather than relying on caffeine to get you through the day. On top of that it also means trying to make sure you get quality down time, and try to minimize issues in your life that take up a large emount of emotional energy. Based on your post, it sounds like you're doing this - just don't underestimate it's value.

On top of that, it can really help to examine your study habits. How are you studying? Are you putting much time into reviewing and understanding material? Beyond that, how much time are you putting into skill development? Remember, just because you understand something conceptually does not mean that you are skilled in applying it.

When you fail to meet deadlines are then any common reasons? One of the harder lessons that I had to learn sometimes was to let go of little things. I have the kind of personality that doesn't like to let go of a problem until it's solved. But sometimes, strategically, you need spend your time on other things and let the little things go, and then come back to them later. You might want to read "The Seven Habits of Highly Successful People" at some point - or at least grab the Cliffs Notes on it or other books like it. These books can sometimes help with organization and procrastination. (Sometimes they are quite fluffy though.)

Likes duarthiago

Related to Acquiring low grades whilst studying hard

1. Why am I getting low grades even though I study hard?

There can be several reasons for this. It could be that you are not studying effectively, or that you are not fully understanding the material. It could also be that you are not managing your time well and not giving yourself enough time to study. It is important to evaluate your study habits and make adjustments accordingly.

2. Is studying hard the only factor that affects my grades?

No, there are other factors that can affect your grades such as test anxiety, lack of sleep, and personal issues. It is important to address these factors and find ways to manage them in order to improve your grades.

3. How can I improve my grades if I am already studying hard?

It is important to not only study hard, but also study smart. This means finding effective study methods that work for you, such as creating study guides or using flashcards. It is also important to seek help from a tutor or teacher if you are struggling with a particular subject.

4. Can I still get good grades if I don't study hard?

It is possible to get good grades without studying hard, but it is not recommended. Studying is essential for understanding and retaining information, and it also helps with time management and test-taking skills. It is important to find a balance between studying and other activities, but still prioritize studying.

5. How can I stay motivated to study when I am getting low grades?

It can be difficult to stay motivated when your grades are not reflecting your efforts. One way to stay motivated is to set realistic goals and track your progress. It is also helpful to take breaks and reward yourself for your hard work. Additionally, surrounding yourself with a positive and supportive study environment can also help with motivation.