Maximize Your GCSE Biology Grade: Tips for Success on March 5th Test

In summary: Because I think (but I'm not sure) that you can get credit for getting the right answer but crossing it out and putting something else. EDIT: That makes no sense. I'm thinking of a different...
ultimasayan
anyone got any tip before the test?? it will happen at march the 5th

what is the best way to achieve my best grade possible?

Biology news on Phys.org
I dun think this belongs here, but I have the impression that biology is 98% memorisation and 2% concept haha.

GCSE biology certainly is a lot of memorisation of diagrams and labels and concepts. A lot of revision normally helps. One can download past exam papers and mark sheets from the exam board websites which will help you see where you're at in terms of your knowledge.

Kurdt is correct, the best way to revise for an exam is to do some past papers, they firstly give you a good indication on how questions will be set out and secondly you sometimes find similar questions appearing over and over. The most important thing is to space your revision out into smaller segments or topics, this allows you to go through everything in the course.I achieved an A grade at GCSE Biology, I have listed a few useful sites that should help you out. Just be sure to check if they apply to your course, I used these for my revision but if it does not apply to your course then make sure you are not wasting your time.

http://www.s-cool.co.uk/topic_index.asp?subject_id=17&d=0"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/science/"

Last edited by a moderator:
You Brits all talk funny. Revise is what we do to fix mistakes. To prepare for an exam, we study. :biggrin:

You can visit the biology forum if you need help with concepts, but I have no idea what a GCSE exam even is, so can't help much with that part. I'd be very disappointed if whatever it is could be passed just with memorization, though.

Moonbear said:
You Brits all talk funny. Revise is what we do to fix mistakes. To prepare for an exam, we study. :biggrin:

You can visit the biology forum if you need help with concepts, but I have no idea what a GCSE exam even is, so can't help much with that part. I'd be very disappointed if whatever it is could be passed just with memorization, though.

Check out some past papers.

http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/gcse/sci_da_m_assess.php

We revise because we revisit things already covered in class :biggrin:

Kurdt said:
Check out some past papers.

http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/gcse/sci_da_m_assess.php

We revise because we revisit things already covered in class :biggrin:

Wow, what educational level is that meant for? Those are some of the easiest biology exam questions I've ever seen. I don't think I've seen anything that easy since elementary school (which would be appropriate if that is given to elementary students). "This is a picture of a rabbit." That had me cracking up!

Moonbear said:
Wow, what educational level is that meant for? Those are some of the easiest biology exam questions I've ever seen. I don't think I've seen anything that easy since elementary school (which would be appropriate if that is given to elementary students). "This is a picture of a rabbit." That had me cracking up!

I was thinking the same thing, they do seem pretty darn easy. By the looks of those questions if you study at all you should be more than fine. But seriously what grade are those for? On the other hand I did like how they said if you did not use properly worded english and terminology you would be docked marks.

Thats aimed at 16 years olds. There are three tiers you may notice. Perhaps a look at the syllabus would have been better but to me there's not much difference between tiers.

Kurdt said:
Thats aimed at 16 years olds. There are three tiers you may notice. Perhaps a look at the syllabus would have been better but to me there's not much difference between tiers.

Wow, I was thinking it was more aimed at 11 or 12 year olds. That's an extremely easy exam then. No wonder you all make fun of biology...there's a LOT more to it than what that is testing.

I was rather shocked, though, that they make you take a fill-in-the-bubble exam with a PEN! And then go into elaborate instructions on what to do if you change your mind, and then change your mind again. Why don't they just require pencil so you can erase if you change your mind?

Moonbear said:
I was rather shocked, though, that they make you take a fill-in-the-bubble exam with a PEN! And then go into elaborate instructions on what to do if you change your mind, and then change your mind again. Why don't they just require pencil so you can erase if you change your mind?

Because I think (but I'm not sure) that you can get credit for getting the right answer but crossing it out and putting something else.

EDIT: That makes no sense. I'm thinking of a different exam :rolleyes: Any way, those ones with the circles are marked by computer so I guess black ink is compulsory for the scanner to see it properly.

Last edited:
Kurdt said:
Because I think (but I'm not sure) that you can get credit for getting the right answer but crossing it out and putting something else.

EDIT: That makes no sense. I'm thinking of a different exam :rolleyes:
:smile: That would be interesting. My strategy on any I didn't know then would be to mark them all and pick one as a final answer and hope to get credit for guessing. I do feel sorry for my students, though, when I see they wrote the correct answer initially and then crossed it out and put the wrong one. I can't give them credit for it, because they clearly didn't know it well enough if they changed the answer, but I do sympathize.

Any way, those ones with the circles are marked by computer so I guess black ink is compulsory for the scanner to see it properly.

Odd. I've never encountered a scanner that required only black ink. We have ones that supposedly only read #2 pencil, though, but I've seen them pick up ink. Do you get the answer sheets back? Maybe it's to prevent cheating by changing the answer after getting the exam back and then contesting the grading? (In larger courses where this is occassionally a problem, we just xerox the answer sheets before turning them back).

Moonbear said:
Do you get the answer sheets back? Maybe it's to prevent cheating by changing the answer after getting the exam back and then contesting the grading? (In larger courses where this is occassionally a problem, we just xerox the answer sheets before turning them back).

When I did GCSE we never got the papers back. They were externally marked and all you got was your grade. I don't know how they do it these days but I doubt if a student will get their original answer paper back.

Years ago we used a special pencil called a "mark sense" pencil, it was an IBM technology. It was for reading the marked bubbles by computers.

thank you for all your help best wish for my test
examination at March 5th 2008

Related to Maximize Your GCSE Biology Grade: Tips for Success on March 5th Test

1. What are the best study techniques for maximizing my GCSE Biology grade?

The best study techniques for maximizing your GCSE Biology grade include practicing past papers, creating flashcards, summarizing notes, and teaching the material to someone else. It is also important to have a consistent study schedule and take breaks to avoid burnout.

2. How can I improve my understanding of difficult concepts in GCSE Biology?

To improve your understanding of difficult concepts in GCSE Biology, you can try using visual aids such as diagrams or videos, discussing the concepts with a classmate or teacher, and seeking additional resources such as textbooks or online tutorials. It may also be helpful to break the concept down into smaller, more manageable parts for easier comprehension.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid on the GCSE Biology exam?

Common mistakes to avoid on the GCSE Biology exam include not reading the question carefully, not managing your time effectively, and not fully understanding the command words used in the exam (e.g. compare, describe, evaluate). It is also important to thoroughly revise all topics and not rely on memorization of key terms without understanding their meaning.

4. How can I stay motivated while studying for the GCSE Biology exam?

To stay motivated while studying for the GCSE Biology exam, it can be helpful to set achievable goals, reward yourself for progress made, and remind yourself of the importance of the exam for your future academic and career goals. It may also be helpful to study with a friend or join a study group for support and accountability.

5. Are there any specific topics or areas that I should focus on for the GCSE Biology exam?

While it is important to have a thorough understanding of all topics covered in the GCSE Biology curriculum, some areas that are commonly tested on the exam include genetics, ecology, and human biology. It is also important to pay attention to the specific learning objectives and content outlined by your teacher or exam board. Focus on areas where you feel less confident and practice answering related exam-style questions.